Hirelings who provide skill/gameplay bonuses

Talk about the mods or features you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Cliffworms

Hirelings who provide skill/gameplay bonuses

Post by Cliffworms »

A feature I like from the Might & Magic Series (from VI to VIII) is the companion system where ordinary citizens of various professions can accompany you and help you in various ways in exchange for a percentage of all gold acquired and a hiring cost. If it could be done for Daggerfall, I think it'd bring an interesting concept.

Some examples from M&M 6 :

Armorer : Can repair your gear on the go
Banker : 20% more gold found
Barrister : Bonus to Etiquette
Explorer : Reduced travel time when fast-travelling
Instructor : Faster skill progression
Trader : Bonus to Mercantile
Healer : Can cast a healing spell once a day

I have quest-writing knowledge, but not programming. How feasible would such an idea be?
Having the people accompany you is easy, but getting the benefits is something else.
Excuse the gloom.

l3lessed

Re: Hirelings who provide skill/gameplay bonuses

Post by l3lessed »

This is doable using the current follower framework others have made and are using to create free wandering companions.

Once the new companions were created using that framework, a coder would need to setup a script that monitors what follower the player has currently and trigger the code that adds the bonuses based on the follow ID the player currently has with them. The bonus attributes is to me the easy part, as it would only require a simple few lines to monitor what follower the player has and then run a simple case switch or if then switch to apply the wanted affect. I'm guessing less than 100 lines of code.
My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Cliffworms

Re: Hirelings who provide skill/gameplay bonuses

Post by Cliffworms »

That's interesting! Maybe I could ping Kab about this. :)

Thanks!
Excuse the gloom.