Quest launcher mod

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Jay_H

Quest launcher mod

Post by Jay_H »

Just wanted to make a separate topic for future reference, in case someone wanted to tackle this.
Interkarma wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:03 am What we need is a "quest launcher" mod or something to make it easy just to package quests and and set their startup conditions. For example it could have the intelligence to start custom quests at beginning of game, or when player enters a certain location, or if quest not already running, or whatever people can think of.
While clearly not urgent, this would allow mixing and matching of quests at a much higher level than DFU currently deals with. For example, it could run the Perpetual Quests mod, the Reactive Factions mod, and the original DF questline and allow their disabling without the use of the console.

Kamer

Re: Quest launcher mod

Post by Kamer »

Yea I was also thinking about something like this. Isn't it already possible? TO have a quest automatically start at the beginning of the game.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Not currently. DFU is hard-coded to start only _BRISIEN.txt when the game starts, and from there everything else can begin. So we can alter _BRISIEN.txt for now to add more options, but that's a rather rigid solution.

Ziune Wolf

Post by Ziune Wolf »

Perhaps this mod could be expanded to a "Quest Management" mod, where it would not only enable the player to execute certain quests, but to see active quests (perhaps time limits too), completed quests, failed quests, etc. You could have filters to select quests that were active in the last 30 days, 60 days, etc. Or any custom range. Quests could also be searchable not just by title but maybe text that appears during individual quest stages for easy navigation. Perhaps this could be a quality of life feature available via the logbook, which already shows active quests. The other features not available via the original logbook would need to be hidden from the start, to prevent unwanted spoilers.

Just an idea. Would give the mod much more utility. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

reading a book (or more general using an item) could also start a quest ;)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

You can now (well once PR is accepted) init quest scripts when a new game is started by putting an entry in a quest list like this:

Code: Select all

JHPINIT, InitAtGameStart, M, 0, Init JH perpetual stuff
The M & 0 are irrelavent, only the quest script filename and "InitAtGameStart" mean anything.

As for other conditions, someone will need to give some thought to a small set of conditions and I will implement any which are feasible without too much bespoke code.

From now on if anyone messes with BRISIEN, they answer to me! Leave the poor woman alone. :P
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

This community never ceases to amaze me 8-) Thank you very much Hazelnut, this will be an excellent starting resource.

Man, you folks are awesome!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

So for a quest list for the Perpetual Quests, I'm only going to create a one-liner, right? Just to put the initialization command there?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Jay_H wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:25 pm So for a quest list for the Perpetual Quests, I'm only going to create a one-liner, right? Just to put the initialization command there?
Yes, until you have two threads that need starting at least. :-)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I believe I'm setting things in order. If I fail at that, let me know. I want to keep up with everyone :)