New game plus

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
alphaTECH

New game plus

Post by alphaTECH »

How would everyone feel about a legitimate option to restart the main quest, while retaining all items, gold, reputation, property, discovered locations, etc? I don't like starting new characters, being a low-level in Daggerfall is a frustrating experience and by the time I've finished the main quest I usually have a bunch of other skills that need leveling up and places to see and things to do. I've also played it enough that I know what works and what doesn't and hardcore roleplaying like giving my character excessive weaknesses and useless buffs doesn't appeal to me at all. I have my character, I want to stick with him the way I've stuck with my dude in GTA Online for over six years now.

Seeing as how there's a bunch of ways to do the main quest (and a bunch more ways to stuff it up), it would add a lot of longevity to DFUnity and, most importantly, the will to push ahead with mistakes, safe in the knowledge that you can try it again, but only if you keep going. I've accidentally stuffed up my own save recently, after at least 50 hours put into it. I did that Coat For Lord Castellian quest for that awful little thot in Castle Wayrest before speaking to Lhotun. This has locked out a good portion of the story for me, and all because I didn't religiously refer to UESP like I did a few years ago while playing DFDOS, which in itself is not a great way to be playing the game. Feels like min-maxing and ruins a lot of surprises.

I had a neat little idea which would make this concept seem more legitimate: every time you finish the MQ (reaching the Mantella), regardless of how well you think it went, you are rewarded with a unique item. You can sell it for a six-figure sum, you can enchant it and it will last for a very long time, or you can just keep it in a box in your house/ship. If you put yourself in a position where the MQ is unwinnable, you would get a unique item also, but it'll be heavy, weak, and cheap.

Restarting the MQ would ideally be done in-game. Some time after the MQ wraps up, you would get a letter from a mysterious character who acknowledges that you failed, declined, or succeeded in finishing the MQ, and they will offer you a chance to do it all again. You travel to their location and they give you a cryptic speech with a yes or no confirmation. Picking yes will teleport you to the bottom of Privateer's Hold, and the MQ begins again, fresh and new.

EDIT: I just remembered too, canon states that all of Daggerfall's endings happened together in a time paradox... That certainly helps to legitimize multiple MQ playthroughs! Maybe you could collect a unique item for each different ending you achieve?
Last edited by alphaTECH on Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Re: New game plus

Post by Jay_H »

Until recently, there was a console command "setmqstage #" that allowed you to move to a different segment of the main quest. It's not precisely what you mention here, but it's as close as there's been.

This would require wiping out the global variables, which is something I don't know how to do but a couple others do. With some work and know-how this could become a quest mod.

pango

Post by pango »

"Groundhog Daggerfall" mod! :D
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

The linking of a mod that does this with the existing Lore would be awesome. It even gives a great name for the mod:

Dragonbreak

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

pango wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:04 am "Groundhog Daggerfall" mod! :D
«DAGGERHOG DAY»

:D

Seriously though, it struck me that a quest that used the Groundhog Day premise could be fantastic. The same day repeats until you solve the quest.
You keep skillups and levelups. Equipment and HP resets each morning. Fast travel is disabled.