Suggestion: Easier Map Traveling

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Knuckle

Suggestion: Easier Map Traveling

Post by Knuckle »

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I was thinking as I started playing (for the first time in 20 years), that it would be cool if there was an easier way to navigate the map for traveling. Maybe a drop box that auto sorts locations close to what your typing: I start typing Gothic Gardens, when i search the world Gothic, every location with Gothic in it pops up etc.

Another Idea I had was if there was an art asset to represent different types of buildings with more texture for city view map that would be neat. i guess since everything is square blocks for city shapes, it could just be a square painted texture that adds a bit more style to the city map as opposed to grey/orange/green etc.

pango

Re: Suggestion: Easier Map Traveling

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums, Knuckle!
Knuckle wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:13 pm I was thinking as I started playing (for the first time in 20 years), that it would be cool if there was an easier way to navigate the map for traveling. Maybe a drop box that auto sorts locations close to what your typing: I start typing Gothic Gardens, when i search the world Gothic, every location with Gothic in it pops up etc.
Too late, I implemented that during last June... Just try what you describe in Daggerfall Unity.
Knuckle wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:13 pm Another Idea I had was if there was an art asset to represent different types of buildings with more texture for city view map that would be neat. i guess since everything is square blocks for city shapes, it could just be a square painted texture that adds a bit more style to the city map as opposed to grey/orange/green etc.
That may not be that easy, because I think those colored map directly come from classic game assets (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). I wanted to give a different color to named residences, but haven't found how to do it...
Maybe that map could be recreated from 3d models, if there's no drawback for doing that (beside being more expensive to compute)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart