[Mod Idea] NPCs That Browse/Shop Inside Of Various Shop Buildings

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Magicono43

[Mod Idea] NPCs That Browse/Shop Inside Of Various Shop Buildings

Post by Magicono43 »

So I think the title gives the general concept fairly well. I think this has always been a "problem" in all of the Elder Scrolls game, (Besides maybe Oblivion?) that being, anything outside of taverns that are business buildings like all of the merchants, are completely devoid of basically anybody but the shop-owner, and maybe some random people in the upper sections of the shop, that more resemble friends/family/lovers than actual customers.

I think a mod that would randomly add NPC "enemy" humans into the shops would add quite a lot to the idea that these places are actually places of business and serving more than just the main-character, a "living' place in the world. Maybe even have a simple AI in this situation that has them walk around the various shop shelves as if they are shopping or browsing the shelves themselves. Since the enemy humans have collision, they would also get in the way and make a more "crowded" feel to the shops, and if you wanted you could attack them just like the guards in castles, but this would likely elicit a "HALT" response, while they are passive and clicked on they could respond with simple small text-boxes of dialogue as well.

Just my two-cents on the idea, I think shops should feel a bit more busy, especially in the major capital cities such as Daggerfall and such, these shops were not put up just to serve YOU, but an entire population of a massive city.

herman2000

Re: [Mod Idea] NPCs That Browse/Shop Inside Of Various Shop Buildings

Post by herman2000 »

I quite like this idea, and imagine something in the spirit of "Taverns Redone", but for shops, may do the trick.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

herman2000 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:00 pm I quite like this idea, and imagine something in the spirit of "Taverns Redone", but for shops, may do the trick.
Yeah, that would definitely also help with the addition of moving NPCs into the shops, that being a general redesign internally for most of the shop blocks. I think most of them could use a good face-lift as it is.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Magicono43 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:04 pm
herman2000 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:00 pm I quite like this idea, and imagine something in the spirit of "Taverns Redone", but for shops, may do the trick.
Yeah, that would definitely also help with the addition of moving NPCs into the shops, that being a general redesign internally for most of the shop blocks. I think most of them could use a good face-lift as it is.
Preferably with the shops quality taken into account.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

That would be pretty awesome, but I have no idea if that can be discriminated with how the blocks work. Would be cool, but from what I have seen it seems like one block would always have to look the same inside, no matter what the quality variable of that building is. I'd like to be corrected on that though.

Ah_Ftagn

Post by Ah_Ftagn »

I suppose that may be a limiting factor, but the real limiting factor is if objects can be placed freely inside blocks as well.

The fact that there dungeons in daggerfall where the only doorway into a room is blocked by an immovable object points to objects being freely movable, but I have ZERO experience with the tools or file formats.

As far as I know It could be anything from predefined points where you can place objects in specific lists, or even one massive list, or place-anywhere, with randomization on the X/Y placement of objects in the algorithm, or a hybrid approach that places object zones in X/Y coordinates using preset rules and then fills them from a list. It could even be an outright case of "There are blocks that were designed with specific objects blocking the only entrance", though I doubt it as that would be a really poor design decision if you're using randomization tools to place the blocks themselves.

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

Coming accross this post two days ago was what inspired me to update Populated Buildings to make NPCs make small talk when you click them.
What do y'all think?

Last edited by imsobadatnicknames on Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Well, I definitely think that's a very good start that's for sure. :D

dag

Post by dag »

I agree. I was in the shower thinking the exact same thing. Not only should NPCs go around in shops, but they should be "working" as well. There should be NPCs who look like they're working as well as people shopping to simulate an actual economy. Also, I would really love it if factions like the thieve's guild were active in cities. Some thieves could be pickpocketing, stealing from stores, etc. and guards could arrest them. Also, people in the fighter's guild and mage's guild could go in and out of the buildings as well as browsing/shopping/getting quests in the faction building.

That would be awesome.
Coming accross this post two days ago was what inspired me to update Populated Buildings to make NPCs make small talk when you click them.
What do y'all think?
I'd rather if, somehow, you could just paste the NPC skin over the enemy AI or something to make it blend together better. It still looks like something that would be in Daggerfall though, not gonna lie. It's really good. The small talk is also a good break from the regular dialogue UI. I think just having the dialogue UI everywhere cheapens the characters a bit. They should at least have a little personality.

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

dag wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:40 pm I'd rather if, somehow, you could just paste the NPC skin over the enemy AI or something to make it blend together better.
I'm afraid that, while I'd love to do that, it's currently outside of my capabilities, as my knowledge of C# is very limited and every sgnificant mod I've made has been made through the quest system, which doesn't really allow to do stuff like what you're proposing.

Perhaps someday a more skilled modder will make a better implementation of this idea.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0