[Feature Request] Excluding children NPCs as Questors.

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
harbinger451

Re: [Feature Request] Excluding children NPCs as Questors.

Post by harbinger451 »

harbinger451 - I haven't looked at your mod yet. Are you using C# scripts where you'll be able to set a property in game? If not, we'll conceive another solution. It's important to me this is something the mod can control, not something users have to remember to switch off themselves. A settings.ini toggle isn't suitable here.
Its not a mod ,,, as in a dfmod ... but a quest pack. I'm just learning how to do the quests at the moment and though I hope to be doing full mods at some point I have a lot to learn about C# before I can even consider doing so. Its all a bit over my head atm I have to admit.

If the "switch" can be a setting that's able to be called in a quest file, then I can handle it I think. But I agree that it has to be something that can't be switched off by the player. It is already possible to flag quests as having nudity/adult content in the Quest List feature ... would it be possible to somehow hardcode the child NPCs to never offer a quest flagged as adult? Of course, that doesn't stop a player going in and editing the quest list file to remove the adult flag.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Cheers, and that's a good idea. Hazelnut - could this be easily tied to the "adult" flag in quest lists and don't select if quest giver is a child sprite? It makes sense for child NPCs not to be handing out that content anyway. We can always expand/improve later to create a more granular option for quest authors.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've made a quick change now to globally disable random commoner/castle quest offers from children NPCs. Target NPC is checked by both texture and faction. I think I found all the children textures used in the game.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... 25f302ca64

This can be refined later as needed to make it more granular. This quick change just takes the pressure of Hazelnut in case he wants to spend more time on this. The new helper in StaticNPC should be useful in any case.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hooray! I always thought it was dumb for children to offer quests anyway :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Agreed Jay. It rarely made sense even if it was in classic.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

With some refinement, you could even go the other way.

"Can you help me mister? I 've lost my dolly. Can you help me find it please?"

Yes

"You can! Yay! I last saw it while I was wandering around Ruins of Ashcroft Castle."

Wait, what?

:D

harbinger451

Post by harbinger451 »

This is great news ... so, will this be in operation from the next update of DFUnity?

Its a perfect short term catch-all solution until something more nuanced is introduced. I have to say, a system for targeting or missing out specific sub-factions within the commoner (and/or noble) quest givers would be very useful ... I've been having real trouble singling out the prostitutes faction for some proposed additions to my quest pack, but that is bye-the-bye - thank you so much for sorting this out.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

You're welcome. :) And yep, will be next build from 0.10.24.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Great stuff, so no work needed from me then. :)

Which was good because last weekend was fathers day (belated since it clashes with sons birthday) and I spent it playing video games with him. :-D
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

UnopenedCanofSpoopy

Post by UnopenedCanofSpoopy »

So children characters won't be handing out any quests at all?
I.M.O that's not really the way to go. I'd rather they hand out quests and occasionally give you weird ones, then none at all. The whole game is full of quirks anyway thanks to it's random nature, it's part of it's charm.