Mod Suggestion: New Travel Mod

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Ralzar

Mod Suggestion: New Travel Mod

Post by Ralzar »

So, me and many others consider Tedious Travel to be an integral part of a modded Daggerfall experience. However, TT is not even finished, leaving it with bugs and bare-bones mechanics that the rest of us modders have to work around somehow while hopeing for the mod creator to show up again at some point.

At some point someone will probably make a new mod to replace Tedious Travel. Probably not me, as I am an amateur coder at best and while I could perhaps copy the work of TT I could probably not improve much upon it.

So, what I can contribute with, is design ideas :D

How to make a new travel mod that takes the basic idea of Tedious Travel, but is not stuck to the work that mod did.

1: No "Ports" button. Instead, mark all ports with a golden circle. See Pangos accessibility setting for the travel map for an example of what I'm talking about. This way, the mod uses the original travel map, but simply adds an effect to some existing loactions.
These circles could also be color-coded to show a difference between ports with ships and ports that only work if you own a ship.

2: Limit travel speed. When going too fast, the game(or other mods) easily bug out. Besides, if you use this mod you have allready accepted that travel will be a bit... well, tedious.

3: Coach service. Much like the airship mod. Add an NPC (I am thinking an actual wagon/coach sprite or model) that you click on to buy passage to a town using vanilla fast travel locked to a specific set of fast travel settings: Use ship, stay at inns, travel cautiously. You can only choose towns as destinations.

4: Using the Fast Travel window for the mod. See below.

Change layout slightly. Maybe rename it to "Realtime Travel".
map.PNG
map.PNG (143.81 KiB) Viewed 944 times
SPEED
Cautiously makes you stop if your fatigue is getting low or if night is starting.
Recklessly just keeps on going until you faint/die.
These two modes could also potentially affect your movement speed and odds of wandering monsters.

TRANSPORT
Foot/Horse works normally
Ship makes the game check for quickest route using ship and overland travel. It then presents you with a YES/NO popup of the route in text form. Like "Over land to Daggerfall, ship to Gallowmoor, over land to Ipshead". Then it sets the first destination and starts travel if you click ok. (Or it could show it on a map. But that's obviously more complex)

STOP FOR THE NIGHT AT...
Change the name to: STOP AT...
Camp Out just makes a straight line for your destination.
Inns makes the mod check for towns/taverns along the way that are preferrably 3+ hours away and reachable before nightfall and sets that as travel destination.

Additions:

Have several travel destinations in a list. Once you reach the top one, it gets wiped and the next destination on the list gets set. Allowing the mod/player to set a whole travel route with stops at taverns and towns.

Be able to turn head while overland traveling. It would be really nice if it was possible to keep traveling toward your destination, but be able to look ath the horizon passing by beside you. This would also allow you to spot any interesting locations along the way.

Lokkrin Zhataros

-

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

-
Last edited by Lokkrin Zhataros on Wed May 26, 2021 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ah_Ftagn

Re: Mod Suggestion: New Travel Mod

Post by Ah_Ftagn »

IMO, the best approach for a travel mod in a game like daggerfall would be to copy the way the world map works in Arcanum: of Steampunk and Magick Obscura.

Start travelling, displays you moving on the map. Encounter happens, you get booted to actual gameplay. Movement happens in real time or a multiplier of it though, so if you stop in place you end up where your character actually is, and stuff that spawns on the way also triggers leaving the world or province fast travel map and being booted to first person combat for the encounter (Actual gameplay in other words).

Arcanum literally mapped out the entire world's space, but used a fallout style travel map to quickly pass through the locations. Crazy detailed... Daggerfall was built to be explored as-is mostly, but has the same relatively uninteresting baseline landscapes without using mods, and the same absolutely vast distances. That makes it ideal for that sort of travel system.

If you let this movement happen when using the map interface and be tracked on the map, you could REALLY crank up the speed settings while on the map itself, with the assumption that the actual world isn't being rendered but the movement IS being tracked. Add in some player position error correction to make sure the player character ends up at ground level to account for terrain mods, and you're golden.

Guy_Duderson

Re: Mod Suggestion: New Travel Mod

Post by Guy_Duderson »

If a new travel mod is made... There is something I'd want to see that for some reason didn't work in tedious travel. I was thinking it'd be cool if having a method of long term levitation would allow you to fly through the skys scenically to your destination (like with a high durability item that has cast while held:levitation on it). In tedious travel your character would refuse to move if they're told to start traveling while levitating. There may very well be serious technical barriors i don't know about to allowing you to automatically move while levitating, but if it is at all possible it's just a little thing I think would be nice.