[Feature request]First person you ask for the location of something always marks it on your map

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Svperstar

[Feature request]First person you ask for the location of something always marks it on your map

Post by Svperstar »

My #1 annoyance with Daggerfall is having to ask people for directions and having them not know or having to spam it over and over again to get them to mark it on your map.

The first person you talk too should mark it on your map 100% of the time.

Deepfighter

Re: [Feature request]First person you ask for the location of something always marks it on your map

Post by Deepfighter »

Besides the convenience, that's not how the (real) world works. ;) I saw it always as kind of realistic that not everyone likes a total stranger and is immediately helpful when she/he gets questioned. And if you annoyed the person to much, she/he will mark it on the map, so that the inquirer finally "shuts up". :D

Nevertheless, there will be others who will think your mod idea is exactly what they want. More variety is always good.
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

lychgator

Re: [Feature request]First person you ask for the location of something always marks it on your map

Post by lychgator »

How about, the higher your personality, the higher the probability that the npc that knows the location will mark it on your map the first time? After a certain personality value, the probability will be 100%. The mod could have a scale option to set the likelihood. That way, if you want it 100% no matter what, you can set the scale all the way to the max setting, and if you want close to normal game behaviour, you can set to the minimum.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Currently this is not exposed to modding.

It looks like the chance of getting map marked, along with other talk chances, have not been matched to classic yet. All the chance values are commented "Chances unknown" so unless Numidium or Interkarma (last person to edit them) just forgot to remove the comments, this may require some reverse engineering attention. Paging Ferital... :D

Once that's been done we can look at exposing stuff for mods.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

Hazelnut wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:53 pm It looks like the chance of getting map marked, along with other talk chances, have not been matched to classic yet. All the chance values are commented "Chances unknown" so unless Numidium or Interkarma (last person to edit them) just forgot to remove the comments, this may require some reverse engineering attention. Paging Ferital... :D Once that's been done we can look at exposing stuff for mods.
Is it possible to just make up your own random chance values rather than try to find vanilla values?

Svperstar

Post by Svperstar »

Hazelnut wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:53 pm Currently this is not exposed to modding.

It looks like the chance of getting map marked, along with other talk chances, have not been matched to classic yet. All the chance values are commented "Chances unknown" so unless Numidium or Interkarma (last person to edit them) just forgot to remove the comments, this may require some reverse engineering attention. Paging Ferital... :D

Once that's been done we can look at exposing stuff for mods.

I was going to ask where to look so I could mod it myself. Good to know it isn't exposed.

A couple days ago it took me 15 minutes to find someone who could mark a location for me. This is with 100 personality. So annoying.