Texture addon that just adds normal maps?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
socuciustarkus

Texture addon that just adds normal maps?

Post by socuciustarkus »

Sorry if I formatted this completely wrong, but I kinda want to play Daggerfall again, but this time in DFunity. The only problem with DFunity is that without normal mapped textures, everything looks kind of plastic-y and flat.

If anyone already has a texture pack that just adds normal maps to the default textures, i'd much appreciate it.
If not, however, i'll be looking into a way to use AI to automatically generate them from the already existing textures

This kind of leads into a side discussion about old games and normal maps as well. Something I often think about is how the ugliest games and many old games we consider ugly often lack normal maps. But with the simple addition of them, it instantly knocks them up a few notches. Like Morrowind for example. With the addition of normal maps, in my eyes, Morrowind goes from a 3/10 to a 6/10 at least.

On a side note, is there a simple way I can just access all of the games textures in like png format or something? I'm sure I'll figure it out, but I don't want to spend too long on this

Edit: I feel a bit stupid for posting this without doing much work on my part beforehand. Yes, I found Daggerfall Imaging 2 on the dfworkshop website

socuciustarkus

Re: Texture addon that just adds normal maps?

Post by socuciustarkus »

Update- The effect isnt as strong as I want it to be. I will post screenshots and dowloads soon probably and maybe adjust the strength and contrast

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I’m really not sure what you’re asking for here. If I want DFU to look just like original DF I just fiddle with the DFU graphics settings combined with the retro rendering. Is there something missing?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

He wants to add normal maps to original textures, which is a nice way to keep things vanilla looking yet improve the visual fidelity. Normals make textures look 3 dimensional instead of just flat surface.

I think MasonFace was wirking on such a mod, but not sure how far it has progressed since than.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

He wants to add normal maps to original textures, which is a nice way to keep things vanilla looking yet improve the visual fidelity. Normals make textures look 3 dimensional instead of just flat surface.

I think MasonFace was wirking on such a mod, but not sure how far it has progressed since than.

socuciustarkus

Post by socuciustarkus »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:35 pm I think MasonFace was wirking on such a mod, but not sure how far it has progressed since than.
I didn't know that, thanks. I can't wait to see how his turns out, it'll probably end up better than mine considering some of the heightmaps generated by the program I'm using look a bit off, and the specular maps/metallic maps don't seem very accurate. We'll just have to wait and see.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yea well waiting and seeing is just one of the ways you can approach this task :D

socuciustarkus

Post by socuciustarkus »

As you can see, the effect is sometimes subtle and good, and sometimes a bit too intense. I'll adjust the contrast/height of the normals a bit until it looks better. Once i've gotten to a point I find satisfying, I'll move everything over to the modding board
sample3.png
sample3.png (582.72 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
sample2.png
sample2.png (761.14 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
sample1.png
sample1.png (880.44 KiB) Viewed 1508 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Perfect! Do you use the unity inspector to set up the normals? You can set the intensity of the normal map there

socuciustarkus

Post by socuciustarkus »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:38 pm Perfect! Do you use the unity inspector to set up the normals? You can set the intensity of the normal map there
Nah that's too complicated for me, since I assume you have to adjust everything by hand. I use an aptly named program called normal map generator. There are around 10,000 textures in daggerfall, there's no way I'm doing it all by hand lol
https://github.com/Theverat/NormalmapGenerator