Ideas for improved Fighters' Guild?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
imsobadatnicknames

Ideas for improved Fighters' Guild?

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

Idk if I'm the first person to make a post like this but...
Honestly, I think it's not a secret that the Fighters' Guild got the short end of the stick in terms of faction progress benefits. While most other factions offer a variety of services, some of which are progressively unlocked as you progress in rank, the FG only really offers three services (training, lodging and repairs), all of which are avilable from the moment you join. The only rewards you get from climbing up the ranks are cheaper repairs and acces to more quests.

I know this is probably because the Fighters' guild is the most "mundane" of all factions in the game and it's way easier to come up with higher-level services for something like the Mages Guild, but I still think it'd be fun to brainstorm some ideas about how they could be improved. Some things I have thought of so far:

Guild armorsmith: Maybe, aside from offering repairs, the guild also offers equipment (with a discount relative to the prices of other shops) to members of a certain rank, OR maybe they offer you the possibility to commision "custom equipment", where you'd be able to tell the armorsmith to make you any specific type of weapon out of any specific material (of course, in this case they'd have to be MORE expensive than buying the same weapon at a normal shop). Maybe there could be a new set of guild-exclusive armor that you get after a certain rank.

Guild companions: Okay so... the ability to hire another Fighters' Guild member for a while to travel with you and help you fight would be pretty cool. Perhaps it could work similarly to my mercenaries mod, except that it'd only hire one person and, instead of icnreasing in price with player level, it'd decrease in price with guild reputation.

Guild map sellers: This one might be a little far-fetched, but maybe an NPC in the guild that sells treasure maps to adventurers looking for loot. I think that'd be pretty interesting.

Guild stablemasters: NPCs that offer discounted horses/carts to guild members (though maybe this would be more appropriate to a hypothetical modded-in guild like a Couriers Guild or a Merchants Guild?). Maybe they could sell trained war animals similar to the ones added by the pets mod recently made by knightwalker41

Idk... I could probably easily implement guild companions and guild map sellers through a modified version of my mercenaries mod, but only as a temporary solution until I learn to make mods with actual C# coding, as implementing new guild services through the quest system isn't exactly an elegant solution. This post is kinda just an attempt to brainstorm some ideas and hear what other people think about this.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

Hazelnut

Re: Ideas for improved Fighters' Guild?

Post by Hazelnut »

You've missed a FG benefit out of your list, you get progressively more money for completing quests as you rise in rank. Also the lodging benefit gains 24/7 hall access at rank 6, and repairs get cheaper as you rank up.

But I take your point, they could use some more interesting benefits for sure. However it's a guild of mercenaries for hire, so they have to fit with that remit.

Regarding your first suggestion, the Roleplay & Realism mod has a quest that's available once you're a master of the guild that gains access to a special armor smith where you can buy any high material armor in the game, depending on player level for balance.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Blue Footed Booby

Re: Ideas for improved Fighters' Guild?

Post by Blue Footed Booby »

How about a discount card usable at participating pubs? :V