Visual way to tell main quests from others

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
pango

Visual way to tell main quests from others

Post by pango »

The way the main quest line is written, it can be broken by rejecting a quest.
To make the main quest more robust (IIRC they're some plans for that) it would be good if main quests could be retried.
But also, it could be good if main quests could be distinguished visually from others, say use a nicer parchment style for those...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Re: Visual way to tell main quests from others

Post by King of Worms »

I agree with visually distinguishing the main quest from basic quests.

Only problem I see is that the parchment files should be in that case created anew and used as a solid one piece background. As it is now, these backgrounds are generated from like 6 or more pieces which are put together to form a background tab.

All I can add is that if the need arises, I can create this new background In a way it fits the game, looks good and the text is easily readable (thats very important part... I experimented with these backgrounds a lot in the DREAM - Spellbook, notebook, logbook - and after a lot of iterations I ended up with quite dark & desaturated backgrounds which work the best)

Example:
Spoiler!
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (540.8 KiB) Viewed 1033 times

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

The parchment pieces are used for more than just the journal tab I think.

Not that keen myself of having main quests appear different from normal ones... seems a little meta-gamey to me. If players read the text carefully they should know what's going on. That's just my preferences though, and I'd not oppose an enhancement option. Not sure there's any actual flagging on the quests though is there to drive this?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

On a first playthru, the only way to tell if a quest is a main quest or a random noble quest is to open the uesp.net or similar site; That's the only reliable way. And I've seen streams where the main quest was about to be derailed just because the player was ready to click a No button, only to be prevented by viewers.
So again, making those quests retryable, or second best solution adding some visual clue, would help all players that do not have such a knowledgeable audience...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I agree this is quite a issue, which is easy to overlook by the veterans who played the game 10s of times, but can be fatal for newcomers.

I think the most simple and non obtrusive way to do this would be to add a text in the quest editor, which would somehow hint that this is very important quest in a lore friendly way, as a headline? Maybe in CAPS?

"You have a feeling this is a very important task"

or something completely different, Im sure people who like writing can come up with something better :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Well not sure my opinion should count for much on this one as I still have yet to play through the DF main quest myself. As I said in my first post here 3 years ago I'm waiting for DFU to be done before playing through properly.. so still avoiding spoilers! :shock:

Guess I'll find out how much of an issue it is when I finally do that! :lol:
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods