Removing spiders using mods

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
thezombinator

Removing spiders using mods

Post by thezombinator »

Will there be a mod or a feature to remove spiders from the game? I have arachnophobia and the spiders scare me away. I want to play this game but after seeing a spider I just quit so can there be a mod that fixes that?

Nystul

Re: Removing spiders using mods

Post by Nystul »

should definitely be possible in the future if we are talking about enemy graphics. not sure about enemy name/stats/abilities though. We have to ask Interkarma.
What scares me most about df spiders is the sound they make ;)

thezombinator

Post by thezombinator »

Nystul wrote:should definitely be possible in the future if we are talking about enemy graphics. not sure about enemy name/stats/abilities though. We have to ask Interkarma.
What scares me most about df spiders is the sound they make ;)
Yeah they sound like cats and I thought there'd be some kinda cat enemy but when I saw it I shat myself

Also if it's possible it could be replaced by a human or an animal that has the spiders loot on it (Because potions)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey thezombinator, welcome to the forums. :)

At some point, I'd like to break out the random monster tables (currently in code) to a text file. That would make it simple to mod out the random spiders.

Fixed enemies are a different matter though. A modder would have to create some hooks to the methods which add fixed enemies in RDBLayout and override the spiders with something else. Now that I think of it, you could use the same thing for the random enemies.

Definitely possible, just needs a little coding in the core to open the hooks, and then create a mod using Lypyl's mod system to do the rest.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

As far as I remember, there are no spiders in fixed locations (MQ dungeons). They would appear in Fighters Guild quests, which I think is the remaining way they'd show up.

I was under the impression that certain enemies are coded into certain blocks at certain levels, which would make this pretty complicated to alter. If not, all the better.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay_H wrote: I was under the impression that certain enemies are coded into certain blocks at certain levels, which would make this pretty complicated to alter. If not, all the better.
Yep, that's what I meant by fixed enemies (I wasn't talking about MQ locations). Every block has a number of fixed enemies (always the same) and random enemies (based on dungeon type and player level). The type of enemy deployed depends on the editor marker at their spawn location.

The method I suggested to setup hooks to methods which spawn enemies in RDBLayout would suffice in conjunction with a mod to disable spiders and replace with something else. No need to change the block data itself.

It's not something I'll do as part of my work, but I thought information might be useful to a modder down the road one day. :)

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

Maybe this is the wrong approach.
Mod to replace spider sprite with something else.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files