Idea: Chargen randomizer?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
imsobadatnicknames

Idea: Chargen randomizer?

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

So... this is an idea I had today, and i honestly don't know how hard this might be to create, since character creation is a part of DFU that's probably very baked-in and not easy to change, but I think it'd be interesting to add an option to randomize character creation, which when used would randomly select your race, gender, class, name and face, and then randomly distribute your attribute points and skill points.

I think it's something that could mix pretty well with the Ironman mod and the Starting Dungeon Randomizer mod to create sort of an interesting Roguelike Daggerfall experience.
Last edited by imsobadatnicknames on Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

Ralzar

Re: Idea: Chargen randomizer?

Post by Ralzar »

Absolutely agreed.

Not a lot to add here :D

pango

Post by pango »

Yes, that's something that was discussed on the Discord server before. I really enjoy watching that kind of challenge, and would really like to get better at it.
I wrote a small character generator for myself, in OCaml, that doesn't try to balance out advantages and disadvantages, so ease of leveling is all over the place... But it shouldn't be too difficult to improve.

I think that what's missing the most is the possibility to start character creation with default values already filled in.
That way we could have predefined classes as templates, load custom classes, and the randomizer could be added as a "Random" class to the list of predefined classes.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

imsobadatnicknames

pango wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:42 pm Yes, that's something that was discussed on the Discord server before. I really enjoy watching that kind of challenge, and would really like to get better at it.
I wrote a small character generator for myself, in OCaml, that doesn't try to balance out advantages and disadvantages, so ease of leveling is all over the place... But it shouldn't be too difficult to improve.

I think that what's missing the most is the possibility to start character creation with default values already filled in.
That way we could have predefined classes as templates, load custom classes, and the randomizer could be added as a "Random" class to the list of predefined classes.
Oh, I would absolutely LOVE the abily to save and load custom classes, it'd save me a lot of time when loading a new game.

Glod to see I'm not the only one interested in random character generation. I personally don't think the ease of levelling for a random class being out of wack is a big deal, since if I'm randomnly generating a character I'm probably not that interested in playing them long-term.
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

andromacus

Post by andromacus »

I like this idea and I would add a proposal of some other things I would like to see

1. Have the option to start the game from a random city in a random region, rather than the first dungeon

2. Have a randomized background with actual effect on the game, as being born in a noble family (boost to etiquette), starting with an horse or house, be already part of a guild etc

3. Have randomized purposes in life to fulfill during the game (eg become the head of a guild, a knight etc)

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Definitely a good idea! If it were realized, it would also be good to get a brief character description shown to you in a message box, so you don't have to check the stats screen to find all the details, but would get the idea straight away.

At least something like:
"You're Emilia Braveheart, a female Breton Knight, born and raised in Glenumbra. You were a sickly child and always struggled to fight the disease. You are especially skilled with long blades and etiquette"
"You're Whispers-to-the-trees, a male Argonian Mage, native of the Murkmire. You've always had an affinity to darker places, where your Magicka regenerates faster. You are especially skilled with restoration and destruction"

imsobadatnicknames

andromacus wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:21 pm
1. Have the option to start the game from a random city in a random region, rather than the first dungeon
I actually tried to do something like this once, it was a simple questpack script that would teleport you to a random tavern, temple, store, house, guild, or dungeon at the start of the game. However, I ran into problems with it because the "teleport pc to" quest command only seemed to work properly when teleporting you to a dungeon, whenever it tried to send you anywhere else it just got you stuck in a black void. Maybe someday when I know how to code in C# I'll come back to that idea.
andromacus wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:21 pm 3. Have randomized purposes in life to fulfill during the game (eg become the head of a guild, a knight etc)
I kinda wanna figre out how to do this through my Pilgrimages mod, having the gods assign yo a purpos ein life that you can choose to either obey or disobey
NikitaTheTanner wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:12 pm Definitely a good idea! If it were realized, it would also be good to get a brief character description shown to you in a message box, so you don't have to check the stats screen to find all the details, but would get the idea straight away.

At least something like:
"You're Emilia Braveheart, a female Breton Knight, born and raised in Glenumbra. You were a sickly child and always struggled to fight the disease. You are especially skilled with long blades and etiquette"
"You're Whispers-to-the-trees, a male Argonian Mage, native of the Murkmire. You've always had an affinity to darker places, where your Magicka regenerates faster. You are especially skilled with restoration and destruction"
Oh man this is an amazing idea!

pango

Post by pango »

In the meanwhile, I randomly came across this page:
https://perchance.org/daggerfall-character-gen

Have fun :D
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart