Random Big Feature Ideas

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Daschluba

Random Big Feature Ideas

Post by Daschluba »

Here i will just post some random ideas i have for DFTFU, they should all be possibly to do in unity but could be really hard and therefore are just ideas. Also i will write how i think it could be implemented(if possibly).
1. Sandstorms: (note: would need Project "Increased Terrain Distance")Just imagine in the distance say in an area of say 10x10 kilometers there are some big sand textures(which should look like a sandstorm) and they are wandering around the desert and if you go near the sandstorm(or the sandstorm goes near you :shock:)
new smaller textures would appear all around the player that it feels like he would be in the sandstorm. I think that would be an awesome feature to have in the game and would make desserts far more interresting.
(LypyL is currently working on this.)

2. Ice: I actually have no idea how to implement this but the idea is that when it is winter in the more cold regions of the world water would turn to ice so you can actually walk over sees or rivers. Would add some realism and immersion to the game.

Note: I will add more if i get more ideas.
So what do you think of these idea? Would like to know.
Last edited by Daschluba on Mon May 18, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

LypyL

Re: Random Big Feature Ideas

Post by LypyL »

I've actually played around a bit with duststorms (Unity standard assets has some particle effect prefabs for things like fog, fire, duststorms and explosions which I used for the jet)

Nothing quite on the scale of 10x10 km though :lol:

It's definitely something that could be added fairly easily in the future. Same w/ fog. You could have entire cities enveloped w/ fog or sandstorms. I think fog inside of dungeons could also be an interesting effect!

Daschluba

Post by Daschluba »

Nice work, this looks already very good. Question: Does the dust move? Or is it static?

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Yeah it's animated, here's a quick video I made of the duststorm covering Sentinel

https://youtu.be/HMWhBM0ts04

If it isn't obvious, the "thickness" of the duststorm changes in the first few seconds as I changed the transparency settings to show how it looks it at different settings.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That dust storm looks incredible!

Daschluba

Post by Daschluba »

OMG! That's really impressive! Can't wait to see it getting finished.

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

The ideas are not bad of course. However, I would not talk about any kind of immersion regarding a remake of Daggerfall, at least for the time being. To try and make the game look "realistic" is a lost cause in my opinion, since that would require to build it completely anew from the ground up. I for one am completely satisfied by the looks of the last demo (I am more like blown away actually).

Since you ask for opinions, here goes: :)

The sandstorms are a good idea, but I would consider it secondary to applying fog into dungeons, graveyards, or even cities and outside country at night, or in the marshes.

The ice idea will be a good one after there is a good enough application of water itself. And that will surely be a big challenge.

I am a person, who would love to see Daggerfall remade into a playable form, not just to showcase new possibilities and stuff.

1. As such, I would like to see the GUI/HUD remade.
2. The weapons... change it to 3D models, change the animations. The models should be in the original Daggerfall style (simple, materials differing mostly/only with colour).
3. The combat system changed to something click based, like Oblivion/Skyrim. Or at least to give the player a choice.

And from the unrealistic ideas...
- completely remake the trees and plants into more modern representations (3D models close up, and multipolygon trees in the distance),
- completely remake the NPCs, monsters etc. into fully 3D representations (even if simple ones), with accent on the quality of animations, rather than the overall detail.

I wonder whether a playable remake of Daggerfall is ever going to happen. Argh, that would be sooo nice.

Daschluba

Post by Daschluba »

Thanks for the feedback and ideas ifkopifko. I also like the idea of a completely 3D Daggerfall.
However, I would not talk about any kind of immersion regarding a remake of Daggerfall, at least for the time being. To try and make the game look "realistic" is a lost cause in my opinion, since that would require to build it completely anew from the ground up.
Why not talk about immersion? I think in an RPG, immersion should play a very big rool, espacially in a game like Daggerfall. Look at the mods that are made here on the forums, like "Increased Terrain Distance",Real Grass or the Enhanced Sky mod. What they to is adding immersion, and the immersion they add is immense:http://imgur.com/jDDMqJ9.
And about the realism thing, it is not meant in a way of transforming daggerfall into a survival simulator(like skyrim with some mods) or anything just to take real life as inspiration and adding thinks that would fit into the world of Daggerfall like sandstorms for deserts or the ice thing, making a world that feels realistic,a world where you can get lost in because it is so fantastic not a static world where nothing changes.
But that's just my point of view about realism and immersion.
Please say if i understood something wrong.
Last edited by Daschluba on Mon May 18, 2015 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Berandas

Post by Lord Berandas »

Hey guys! I downloaded the most recent build (several days ago actually) and tried it today - it is awesome! I spent an hour just climbing various mountains, just to find out that there always appears to be another one - just a bit higher, on the horizon. :-) The atmosphere is incredible, the music finally works okay and the new features are pure magic. I also encountered several bugs (some placement errors, that are probably from original game, some texturing errors and I fell down through terrain several times, one time I also crashed the game by going faster than it was able to load up the cells), are you logging this kind of stuff somwhere yet?

Well, the excitement was so great that I downloaded the actual tools and started going through the assets. Is there a simple way to load up the modified assets (sprites) in Unity from custom directory rather than from the original game archive? Also, is it possible to load up a tree prefab for example and modify it, or is all that object spawning done via code or scripts? I'm developing a game on Unity engine for last two or three years, so I am familiar with many things, but I am an artist, not a programmer, so my abilities to contribute to your project is quite limited and the time as well...but...well...the heart wants what the heart wants. :-)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Lord Berandas wrote:Is there a simple way to load up the modified assets (sprites) in Unity from custom directory rather than from the original game archive? Also, is it possible to load up a tree prefab for example and modify it, or is all that object spawning done via code or scripts? I'm developing a game on Unity engine for last two or three years, so I am familiar with many things, but I am an artist, not a programmer, so my abilities to contribute to your project is quite limited and the time as well...but...well...the heart wants what the heart wants. :-)
I'm really glad you enjoyed the demo. :) I'll be adding some mod-centric features in a future release (likely 1.4/1.5 as I need some material system upgrades first). For now, there's no easy way to do it without hacking the code a little. But I promise it is possible and will be implemented soon.