Better formatting & organizing of quest log?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
LucidSeraph

Better formatting & organizing of quest log?

Post by LucidSeraph »

I know, "how dare you suggest quest markers the vanilla Daggerfall experience" blah blah okay

I just started playing DF Unity, and I have severe short term memory issues, and dyslexia. I'm finding many basic quests to be REALLY hard to keep track of, and the quest log difficult to read! I've apparently messed up ten quests already because I just lost track of time, I often can't find where NPCs are just because I can't *remember* where the NPC actually is. Much worse, the uniform yellow font and lack of spacing and any differentiation of the text means the quest log just becomes a big fat yellow block of unreadability. Plus, so many character names and place names are so similar, I often end up asking about or going to the wrong place for the quest I'm trying to solve, because I mix up "Coppersmith" and "Coppersly."

I looked around and I don't see any UI overhauls to the quest log... some ideas: organize quests by type (Guild Quests vs random NPC requests vs Main Quest), that might change the color of important information (eg, Find [ITEM] at [LOCATION] and return to [PERSON] in [OTHER LOCATION]. A way to show "YOU HAVE [X] DAYS REMAINING" on timed quests (as opposed to just "you have 56 days" and having to look up when I got the quest and then what day it is and doing the math). (If there is such an overhaul and I just haven't seen it I would love to know)

Maybe a way to annotate the map (unless there is one and I'm just stupid and missed it?) so that I can label houses, or label Inns like "Roberts Copperswill, Rogerts Cooperswall, Rogdort Cognerbweg here"

Just, anything to make questing less cumbersome and reliant upon my extremely faulty short term memory/brain.

DigitalMonk

Re: Better formatting & organizing of quest log?

Post by DigitalMonk »

I'd just like to second this :D

I've basically reduced myself to only having one quest active at a time, because I know I'll never keep things straight otherwise. I know that Hazelnut is working on in-game notebooks, which would also be extremely useful. Dunno if there's some kind of synergy, where quest dialogs could have a button to "record in journal", and then if the journal is editable, I could shorten it up to just the details I need to remember.

I know color may be challenging depending on the font in use (SDF fonts may be easy, but the bitmapped legacy fonts would require grayscaling and then re-tinting), but maybe underlining? When I'm taking notes IRL by hand, that's how I mark the extra important bits...

Any improvements welcome. Thanks in advance!

pango

Post by pango »

LucidSeraph wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:58 pm A way to show "YOU HAVE [X] DAYS REMAINING" on timed quests (as opposed to just "you have 56 days" and having to look up when I got the quest and then what day it is and doing the math).
That one already exists, Advanced > Interface > Countdown quest journal clocks
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

Accesibility in videogames should definitely be a bigger deal thna it is.
Even if this idea with recolored text turns out to be impossible to implement... maybe we quest writers could do our part to help people with dyslexia understand quests a little better by rewritting the logs in our quests to include a brief summary at the bottom with all the information presented in a more organized manner?

Something like this:

I'm not dyslexic so idk if this would actually help, so anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0