List of unused assets - lets reintroduce the unused art to the game.

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
King of Worms

List of unused assets - lets reintroduce the unused art to the game.

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, Id like to create a list of unused assets so we know what is in the game, and what is not. There is this old list, but its not sprite/texture specific. It mostly lists the cut features, but is still worthy to mention here (thanks Orbarth) https://web.archive.org/web/20120818125 ... ll/museum/

This is a 1st step to actually reintroduce these assets back in the game, and that is something I really want to see happening. Because I think Daggerfall is huge, and we need to increase the variety of assets you can find around the world. And whats better than using the original art to do so?

PS: If any coders or ppl who see inside the DFU programming part can pull up this list of unused assets from the game, it would be awesome. Is that possible?

FOUND THE NPC:
1 in taverns
2 (in the Taverns remade mod tho)
6 used in Hazelnuts Archeologist guild
11 used in Main quest - ty Ralzar
12 used by Halzelnuts Mountain rumors Quest
14 used inguilds - ty Ralzar

1st lets start with NPCs. Here is a image with NPCs Im not sure you can meet in the game - They appear unused. Pls let me know which should not be on the list, and if any NPC is missing.
NPCs.jpg
NPCs.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 1736 times

2nd - Daedras - are these 100+ sprites from archive 175 even visible anywhere in the game? It appears to me, there is only the video sequence playing when you summon the daedra? + Can we export/mod that video sequence?
175_9-0.png
175_9-0.png (293.79 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
Last edited by King of Worms on Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 15 times in total.

King of Worms

Re: List of unused assets - lets reintroduce the unused art to the game.

Post by King of Worms »

Currently identified unused assets:

MOBs
Bear with more frames and a bit better resolution: Archive 259
Lysandus: 473
Horses:
-Female heavy 491
-Male heavy 492
-Female medium 493
-Male medium 494
-Female light 495

Dragon:
only few textures in arch 84

Nature sprites
underwater plants: 105
underwater plants animated: 106
some sprites from: 194 Kludge swamp

Dungeon stuff

Dungeon entrance: 331_2-0
Mines dungeon texture sets:
045 - Desert mines
145 - Mountain mines
345- Woodland mines
445- Swamp mines

stone faces: 025, 125, 325, 425

Terrain sets
Rain sets
Roof top garden 031
Last edited by King of Worms on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

reserved...

Orbarth

Post by Orbarth »

Something that could be interesting in term of unused art is one of a feature that was originally planned but was cut : the dragon
The Dragon
Originally there should have been a huge dragon in the game, not a sprite, but a 3D model. The textures are still on the CD, in TEXTURE.084.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks, that list is nice, I will copy it to opening post. I know about the Dragon, but I did not include it in the list, because its not complete, just a few textures. But for a sake of having the list complete, I will add it.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I like to use unused or rare sprites in my mods, so that's an avenue for them to be incorporated.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

1, 2, 11 and 14 are used ingame. Unless this is some kind of variants of the ones used ingame.

1 is in some taverns. 2 is in some houses. 11 is used in the Main Quest. 14 I see here and there in guilds and maybe taverns.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks Ive updated the OP
Btw in the loading screen there are MANY models which are not used ingame. Lots of nice buildings. Thats another big source of unused assets. But I will not got there....

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hazelnut wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:19 pm I like to use unused or rare sprites in my mods, so that's an avenue for them to be incorporated.
This and mods like Taverns redone. But Uncanny is not really responding to my calls about anything so,,

TalonHatesNames

Post by TalonHatesNames »

Number 5 does appear to be the Goddess Dibella. Or at the very least a sprite that was later refitted into the statues of Dibella that we can see in the temples. Or one based on said statue. Not quite a proper identification of an NPC sprite, but I thought it should be mentioned nonetheless.
This, of course, doesn't mean that it couldn't be put to use in some other fashion. Or perhaps used in a mod that allows interaction with the divines, if anyone were working on such a thing.
Imagine having a witty signature.