Please allow me to inject _winter variants of swamp & jungle nature sprites

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
King of Worms

Please allow me to inject _winter variants of swamp & jungle nature sprites

Post by King of Worms »

Hi :)

After a long discussion here http://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic. ... 0&start=20 Ive came to this conclusion:

It would be nice to be able to inject the winter variants of nature sprites to the jungle and swamp biomes. As it is now, these biomes have winter terrain textures/buildings/city walls + summer nature sprites. That means the biome is 3/4 winter (and that is gonna stay like that, because thats how original 1996 is) and 1/4 summer (and thats what I really want to change so it fits the rest)

Might it be possible to open modding for this sprite system in a sense, that if ( _winter) sprite/texture variant is found, its used. And if not found, it uses the default?
Example sprite: 500_1-0_winter

Might it be possible to extend it to textures as well? There are some missing winter textures in various biomes and Id like to provide them. Winter hedges around the cemetery, winter version of castle daggerfall, winter version of mages guild in jungle etc.

Interkarma said this:
...your idea of adding an optional "_winter" tag to load a winter variant via mod system sounds quite feasible. This could override the texture selected by climate processor when season is winter and a "_winter" variant exists for the base texture. There doesn't need to be much in the way of special handling or rules, as the modder is providing bespoke replacements where they want to see them. You could even use this for places that don't get winter swaps, such as deserts (e.g. dry & cracked rather than snow).

And he indeed pointed me to The Lacus :) Well I will let him know about this thread, but if anyone is up to the task, than by all means! :)

Thank you! Lets make the swamp great again :lol:

joshcamas

Re: Please allow me to inject _winter variants of swamp & jungle nature sprites

Post by joshcamas »

This is something I've been wanting to implement into DFU. Not winter variants specifically, but a way for the image searcher system to be overridden and modified via mods. The basic implementation of this would be quite simple and only require a handful of lines of code, and it would allow for a mod to do things like "if winter, check if there's a winter variant" . I know Interkarma was interested in hardcoded systems, but I feel like that would be a waste!

King of Worms

Re: Please allow me to inject _winter variants of swamp & jungle nature sprites

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, in the last posts in the thread Im linking to in the OP Interkarma said he is open to implementing it in a way. He said he is busy tho till the late Jan.

I think if u can make this happen in any way, everyone will be happy. Maybe ask Interkarma what kind of implementation he has on his mind? This half assed winter is killing me. And this system could have much more variants and interresting options.

Thanks for dropping by. Also thans for the update on Ambience mod 😉

Lacus said he is not interrested in making this a thing 😐