Camping Mod Idea

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Lingering_Trees_Gabe

Camping Mod Idea

Post by Lingering_Trees_Gabe »

Since we lost some data, I'd like to bring this idea up once more. Like the camping gear mod for Morrowind, I'd love to be able to either help make, or create something like this in Daggerfall. Given the mass of land you have to work with, it seems to make sense to have such items. The need for sleep, food and drink also seems like it would fit well into this!

I've done some minimal work in Blender, and can make some okay models, but texturing is what I'm very bad at, and that's where I'd need some help, well that and adding the items to game to be bought at a reasonable price. I've done some limited modding with Morrowind (all personal mods, working on one for public though), and I've done some scripting as well. Not sure how much that will help to create said mod, but it should give me at least a little bit of a head start if the modding system ends up being anywhere near similar.

jman0war

Re: Camping Mod Idea

Post by jman0war »

Lingering_Trees_Gabe wrote:Since we lost some data, I'd like to bring this idea up once more. Like the camping gear mod for Morrowind, I'd love to be able to either help make, or create something like this in Daggerfall. Given the mass of land you have to work with, it seems to make sense to have such items. The need for sleep, food and drink also seems like it would fit well into this!

I've done some minimal work in Blender, and can make some okay models, but texturing is what I'm very bad at, and that's where I'd need some help, well that and adding the items to game to be bought at a reasonable price. I've done some limited modding with Morrowind (all personal mods, working on one for public though), and I've done some scripting as well. Not sure how much that will help to create said mod, but it should give me at least a little bit of a head start if the modding system ends up being anywhere near similar.
The only time i camp is when i'm inside a dungeon.
So camping gear is not really required.
Since the char is 2d, having a 3d tent or campsite may be a little odd.

Perhaps requiring at least a couple pieces of 'fire wood' in the players inventory to camp, might be a starting point for such a mod.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

tyhender

Post by tyhender »

jman0war wrote:
Lingering_Trees_Gabe wrote:Since we lost some data, I'd like to bring this idea up once more. Like the camping gear mod for Morrowind, I'd love to be able to either help make, or create something like this in Daggerfall. Given the mass of land you have to work with, it seems to make sense to have such items. The need for sleep, food and drink also seems like it would fit well into this!

Since the char is 2d, having a 3d tent or campsite may be a little odd.
No, we should fix the roots of the problems! Make char 3D :D !

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

A 3d char battling 2d sprites?

You'd have to replace all the enemies with 3d ones, but it is unlikely we'd see anybody modeling and animating them.
So to work around that, it would require removing DF enemies and replacing them with something else.
Culling DF content means it's not DF anymore.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

Arl

Post by Arl »

A sleeping bag could do just fine inside a dungeon I guess, but making a fire inside a place without chimney or some source of ventilation... ...bad idea.

jman0war wrote:A 3d char battling 2d sprites?

You'd have to replace all the enemies with 3d ones, but it is unlikely we'd see anybody modeling and animating them.
So to work around that, it would require removing DF enemies and replacing them with something else.
Culling DF content means it's not DF anymore.
Actually, the idea of making 3D renditions of DF enemies appeals to me even more every day, although is true that complete the entire Daggerfall bestiary would be a monstrous task for one person.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

I modeled and attempted to animate a DF imp creature, for my Privateers Hold mod for MW.
I never managed to figure out all the animation key frames and my result was unfinished and poor.

I still have the model though, including bones, if anybody is interested in messing around.
(.max)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Campfires in interiors are pretty common in Morrowind, and those dungeons are a lot smaller than in any other TES. I think it's fairly reasonable for Daggerfall :)

This mod idea sounds like it'd lead into something like Skyrim's Frostfall or Morrowind's Necessities of Morrowind, which require the character to stay healthy or suffer consequences over time. Daggerfall takes place over months rather than days like other TES so it'd require some adaptation, but it's certainly a workable idea.

Arl

Post by Arl »

jman0war wrote:I modeled and attempted to animate a DF imp creature, for my Privateers Hold mod for MW.
I never managed to figure out all the animation key frames and my result was unfinished and poor.

I still have the model though, including bones, if anybody is interested in messing around.
(.max)
I messed with Morrowind time ago with a Dagoth Ur and Ash Vampire model Replacers, and it was difficult because of the poor support for the old .Nif format Morrowind uses and for the very nature of .Nif files in general.

I'm hopping that, with Daggerfall Unity, we'll have a friendlier 3D model framework to mess around.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

Jay_H wrote:Campfires in interiors are pretty common in Morrowind, and those dungeons are a lot smaller than in any other TES. I think it's fairly reasonable for Daggerfall :)
Actually if you look around your average DF dungeon there are numerous open fires burning.
Every single sconce on the walls for example.
You also see little campfire sprites too.
Those dungeons are pretty filthy places.

TrevTheDev

Post by TrevTheDev »

Spoiler!
*Cough* Like this? :lol: