3D World Map

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
NikitaTheTanner

3D World Map

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Hey, guys! Been thinking about Daggerfall a lot recently. Right now I am structuring my ideas in one pile to hopefully realize one day on my own as a large overhaul mod, piece by piece. But I am far from that, need to brush up on my programming skills.

One feature I would welcome to the game is a 3D world map, similar to Mount & Blade or Final Fantasy.

Why? To visualize player's travel path between locations. In my opinion, that has a lot of potential. Zoom in, and you see small player's model on the 3D Map, zoom out all the way, and you see all the regions divided on the map, similar to 2D map. Of course, with all the original features, like search and filter (maybe grey out locations, not disable them on the map).
Here are some benefits of 3D map:

1) You can see player traveling cautiously, keeping to the roads(once roads are implemented), visiting inns and slowly getting closer to the destination. Or maybe you can see your character recklessly crossing mountains and forrests, trying to get to location ASAP.

2) Travel time can be seen in real time. You see days passing by, meanwhile your character finds a way to cross the river (once rivers are implemented 8-) ) It gives a better sense of progression.

3) Travelling by foot, horse, cart and even ship can be represented with small 3D model, making it clear where exactly you embark. Maybe some rivers will even support boats in the future, who knows?

4) Great way to track player's position for Random Encounters. Not only does computer know where something happens, but player sees it too. Now imagine a random encounter in the middle of a sea, like a pirate ambush!

5) Many other features can be added in vain of M&B, e.g. travelling merchants, peasants, nobles, etc. Additional freedom can be given to the player, not only to travel to some destination, but to walk around the map! Of course, dungeons will stay hidden until found in real world, but maybe you can exit the map near one?

---
Of course, it would take quite a bit of coding and even some modeling to achieve best result, but I think it's definitely worth it. If anyone with the skills would be interested in doing it, I would be grateful. If not, give me approximately a year and I think I'll be able to do it.

Interkarma

Re: 3D World Map

Post by Interkarma »

This would be a pretty thing to behold.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

That would certainly be a significant undertaking, but awesome at the same time. :D

I've played around with drawing the player's path on the travel map, and hope to make a mod for it the future, but nothing on the level of what you're planning! :)

NikitaTheTanner

Well, I am not planning on creating a perfect 3D map straight away, first iterations will most likely be very rough and basic, reminding of FFVII, but once technology is set in place, it can always be improved upon. But I am sure that with time and possibly with cooperation between modders, 3D world map could help revitilize traveling in Daggerfall.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

one possibility could be to use the actual world geometry and render it from a viewpoint from above, see the screenshot in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10&start=30#p149 (although it is way too zoomed out). One might augment the geometry with some additional information like icons or text.

regardless of what approach is taken:
Whoever will tackle this undertaking will have a lot of work to do ;)

NikitaTheTanner

one possibility could be to use the actual world geometry and render it from a viewpoint from above
Yeah, that seems most reasonable. Something like that, at least. I am not yet sure how to handle it best, but it would look like a scaled down world terrain with additional models for cities, villages, dungeons, etc.

When zoomed in, you can only see nearby places, zoom a little out, and models are replaced with lesser LOD and you can see most places in the region, zoom all the way out, and you only see 2D Flat map with regions.

I am sure I'll be able to create a prototype in Unity at some point, but not sure how to connect it to DF Unity. We'll have to see what comes out of it, but seeing all the crazy stuff people create, I am sure it must be possible.