Currency Mod Idea

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
jman0war

Re: Currency Mod Idea

Post by jman0war »

i think it's a neat idea.
The large numbers of coin in DF for items seems a little crude.

i'd like to see different .wav files for the different coin types too.
Maybe the .wav that corresponds with the largest denomination of coin in a given transaction is the one that plays.

Maybe copper would make that 'clackety' sound of MW coin for example.
While gold makes that familiar jingle sound in DF.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

i'd like to see different .wav files for the different coin types too.
Maybe the .wav that corresponds with the largest denomination of coin in a given transaction is the one that plays.
That's actually a neat idea! Can definitely be implemented.

And thanks for support, I do want this mod to be simple and popular, that's why I don't want to make it too complicated.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Awesome idea actually, and nice that you trying to relise it. I really will play with that mod as must have :D

Can you actually use already exist in-game textures that not used it gold and silver coins?

I think they more good fit in original interface then perfect hd circles :lol:

Mr. Waffle

Post by Mr. Waffle »

Is this mod still active? If so, I just have a small comment on the matter.
Narf the Mouse wrote:Given the relative sizes of the coins, 1:100 seems reasonable. I'd think something like 1:20, which is more historical AFAIK
It's true, 1:20 is a bit more historical. While I have a deep love for the metric system, suspension of disbelief can only get you so far. There's no way in Oblivion that a single gold coin is worth 100 silver coins (unless this is Charles V of the Holy Roman Empire's economic crisis due to the heavy influx of silver from the New World). However, due to the fact that some of the economical mechanics of the game (such as the heavily inflated cost of homes, which easily exceed that of ships), 1:100 seems more functional.

Irl bronze really was used as a coin material, but given its cost of production, the tendency for low quality minting (due to how pre-industrial bronze was cast), and the rarity of the secondary material (Tin, which is comparable to the rarity of Uranium), even huge irl empires such as Roma had at many times trouble minting bronze coins, continually suspending its minting for extended periods of time (including a long period between the reigns of Sulla and Augustus). Then again, you could just excuse it with "Tamriel is a fantasy setting", so meh :P .

Besides all of that, this is an excellent mod idea that I reaaaally hope gets implemented. Those huge digits that banks in TESII demand at times are outright ridiculous.
People wear socks

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Is this mod still active? If so, I just have a small comment on the matter.
It's currently just a concept. While I do think I'll be able to implement it successfully, there is still a lof of work being done with money as far as I can see. Shopping becomes a thing and more services become available. While it's an awesome work being done by Interkarma and other contributing developers, if I were to get involved, I suspect that I would be making changes to an unfinished system. For now, I will wait and once money related development is close to completion, I'll try to see what I can do. I still need to get latest version of Unity to work with Visual Studio.

As for why such huge difference between coin value, think not only of materials, but also of size and width of these coins. Lore wise, explaination would be that the Empire is very strict and precise with its coins, so they designed system similar to metric. Bronze/Copper coins would be really small and thin, like modern day pennies, Silver coins would be more similar to 1$ coin in size while Gold coins would be rather large and thick, unlike most coins used in modern time. Plus, it's an extremely easy system to comprehend numbers for the players in game without doing some crazy math in their heads, while still giving somewhat believable currency system.