Mod Idea: Smooth Daggerfall

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Narf the Mouse

Re: Mod Idea: Smooth Daggerfall

Post by Narf the Mouse »

The Unity game engine has built-in animation support for humanoids.

And given that the game was originally intended to use 3D models, I'm fine with that in my Daggerfall. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

For 3d models you need to redo whole game. If in game be flat people in 3d but you can't interact with them and see that they are not actual monsters but just decoration - it will hardly ruin illusion.
So basicly creation of 3d humans from flat people and from humanoid class-baced monsters need to start from removin and replacing a lot objects and game mechanics :D

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Biboran wrote:For 3d models you need to redo whole game. If in game be flat people in 3d but you can't interact with them and see that they are not actual monsters but just decoration - it will hardly ruin illusion.
So basicly creation of 3d humans from flat people and from humanoid class-baced monsters need to start from removin and replacing a lot objects and game mechanics :D
Yeah, definitely not something to stay awake waiting for. ;)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Narf the Mouse wrote:
Biboran wrote:For 3d models you need to redo whole game. If in game be flat people in 3d but you can't interact with them and see that they are not actual monsters but just decoration - it will hardly ruin illusion.
Yeah, definitely not something to stay awake waiting for. ;)
Edit: Maybe in year or two...

Keeper Raul

Post by Keeper Raul »

Yeah, it would take a lot of time a lot of time to replace all sprites with 3d models, and there is a high chance it wouldn't look all that good either, look at all those 3d Doom mods, they all end up looking awkward and silly.

Keeper Raul

Post by Keeper Raul »

Just tried my hand in GIMP for the first time, and I completed the unarmed animations in one night! Thanks a lot jman0war! Sadly, it seems that weapon sprites still can't be replaced for now, so I'm gonna try my hand at enemies. I also found something very interesting, there are two texture files for bears, one is numbered 259 and has 4 frames for each animation, the other is numbered 457 and has 8 frames for animations, could it be the unused sprites you guys were talking about? I'm gonna spawn some bears and replace the textures and see if I notice any difference.
EDIT: just realised I have no idea how to spawn enemies :?

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

Keeper Raul wrote:Just tried my hand in GIMP for the first time, and I completed the unarmed animations in one night! Thanks a lot jman0war! Sadly, it seems that weapon sprites still can't be replaced for now, so I'm gonna try my hand at enemies. I also found something very interesting, there are two texture files for bears, one is numbered 259 and has 4 frames for each animation, the other is numbered 457 and has 8 frames for animations, could it be the unused sprites you guys were talking about? I'm gonna spawn some bears and replace the textures and see if I notice any difference.
EDIT: just realised I have no idea how to spawn enemies :?
Great, I'm happy to hear you are trying GIMP.
I don't think I noticed the bear animation frames.
Is the bear the only creature that has 8 frames?
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

Keeper Raul

Post by Keeper Raul »

Zombies (272), spiders (261), rats (255) and mages (177) also have more frames than usual, I'll try to find some of them in-game and see if their animations are better than the rest.
EDIT: the mages have more frames because their animations are longer, still don't know about the others though

LorrMaster42

Post by LorrMaster42 »

Adding 3D models is more difficult I guess, because they have to be properly animated and everything. They would also be a lot more performance-intensive, which would limit the number of NPCs we can have at once.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

LorrMaster42 wrote:Adding 3D models is more difficult I guess, because they have to be properly animated and everything. They would also be a lot more performance-intensive, which would limit the number of NPCs we can have at once.
But It make a lot stuff easer. Like for 99% humanoids - flats or enemes will be enough 4-5 body models.
Aso they can be low poly