Teleportation to cities, both services and spells.

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
darkedone02

Teleportation to cities, both services and spells.

Post by darkedone02 »

I remembered that in morrowind, in the mage guilds you can teleport almost everywhere without lost of time, and here in daggerfall, we don't have such a service, nor do we have a proper spell that teleports us to the nearby town, we have a different teleport spell that requires you to manually anchor places, which is understandable to use and powerful with other mods, but there is sadly not a simple spell where you just teleport to the front gates of daggerfall at the significant (or later on reasonable) cost of SP.

I wonder if anyone has any interest on making teleportation as a service and later on, if people can make the spell, "teleport to" spells of specific towns.

Kab the Bird Ranger

Re: Teleportation to cities, both services and spells.

Post by Kab the Bird Ranger »

You might want to consult this page: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Mages_Guild

Relevant quote:
Rank 8: Access to Teleporter Service
The Teleporter Service is available to high-ranking members of the Mages Guild – those ranked Master Wizard and higher. The service is provided by the Travelers League faction of the Guild, and is free. They will transport you instantly to any point marked on your map. The only drawback is that the trip is one-way, unless you use a Teleportation spell and set an anchor at the Guild.

darkedone02

Post by darkedone02 »

Kab the Bird Ranger wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:14 pm You might want to consult this page: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Mages_Guild

Relevant quote:
Rank 8: Access to Teleporter Service
The Teleporter Service is available to high-ranking members of the Mages Guild – those ranked Master Wizard and higher. The service is provided by the Travelers League faction of the Guild, and is free. They will transport you instantly to any point marked on your map. The only drawback is that the trip is one-way, unless you use a Teleportation spell and set an anchor at the Guild.
Oh so they set it up as a rank and not as a regular services as a cost like morrowind, can we be able to "morrowind" it up?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hmm, I could imagine a trade of time for money. Whereas traveling usually costs 5 gold per day, perhaps teleportation could have a cost based on theoretical time spent in movement; 20 gold per day skipped? 50 gold per day skipped? Then if you're rank 8 it becomes free.

Kab the Bird Ranger

Post by Kab the Bird Ranger »

Sure, I think 80% of services could be changed to "offered to everyone, cheaper for members". Daedra summoning makes sense as something not accessible to strangers, but otherwise, there's little reason a guild wouldn't want to sell items to someone with enough money, or sell access to their library.
Something to look into after 1.0. Not sure I'd risk messing with services right now, lest you just reimplement them from scratch and create mod incompatibilities everywhere.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

It would be an relatively easy thing to mod, I could add it as an option to my TravelOptions mod as I already override the travel map UI. It should probably cost more for non-members like training at temples I think. So maybe 50g/day or 25 for members?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Maybe scale the cost based on rank?
Something like:
Rank 0: 45
Rank 1: 40
Rank 2: 35
Rank 3: 30
Rank 4: 28
Rank 5: 26
Rank 6: 24
Rank 7: 22
Rank 8: 20
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:28 amSo maybe 50g/day or 25 for members?
I think it should be hecking exorbitant for the convenience factor. Maybe 100 for strangers, 50 for members, except when you earn it in the Mages Guild?

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

...or make it reputation based cost. There is probably a 'Mage's Guild Teleporter' faction already.

It would probably also be rather expensive. Given the option of walking several hundred miles over a span of weeks, slumming in lousy hotels, and fighting off criminals and wildlife...I would pay a premium price for an airline ticket to avoid all of that. The Mage's Guild needs that extra cash to cover up their other questionable/nefarious activities.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

DunnyOfPenwick wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:33 pm There is probably a 'Mage's Guild Teleporter' faction already.
Yep: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Travelers_League
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.