Spellbooks!

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
jman0war

Re: Spellbooks!

Post by jman0war »

It could be both.
Spells scrawled on random pieces of paper.
But also entire SpellBooks could be like a rare drop on a dead mage.

However some things would need to be worked out.
For example, can a player carry multiple SpellBooks, and basically cast spells that are listed in either one?
Is there some way to condense multiple SpellBooks a player might have?
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

jman0war wrote:It could be both.
Spells scrawled on random pieces of paper.
But also entire SpellBooks could be like a rare drop on a dead mage.

However some things would need to be worked out.
For example, can a player carry multiple SpellBooks, and basically cast spells that are listed in either one?
Is there some way to condense multiple SpellBooks a player might have?
Multiple spellbooks seems like it's something that could be frustrating or useful, depending on how it's handled.

I think if you could label spellbooks and transfer spells between them, or create your own (why not both?), you could do some sorting.

Anything from "Destruction Spellbook", "Mysticism Spellbook", "etc. Spellbook" to "Combat Spellbook", "Exploration Spellbook", or "Ranged Damage Spellbook", for the spell *collector.

Maybe some options that could be toggled by mods? Callbacks, maybe? That way, a realism mod could, say, disable transfering spells, and require materials to create a spellbook, while a more "gamey" mod could just dump all the spells into one spellbook, and merge any new spellbooks. And maybe provide some sorting mechanism.

I dunno; ideas. :)

* You know someone's going to want every possible variant, heh.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Daggerfall uses spellbooks in a sort of odd way. Characters begin with a spellbook, and as long as it's in your inventory, you can open the spell list and cast spells. If you drop or sell the spellbook, you are unable to open the spell list or cast spells. You can buy a new spellbook from certain merchants, at which point (I believe) the prior spells are restored and you can open the list again to cast.

I say this to explain that it's really just sort of being locked out of UI for a time, rather than actually containing spells. Not to oppose any idea given thus far, but to give a groundwork of what DF does to where this mod idea would lead.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote:Daggerfall uses spellbooks in a sort of odd way. Characters begin with a spellbook, and as long as it's in your inventory, you can open the spell list and cast spells. If you drop or sell the spellbook, you are unable to open the spell list or cast spells. You can buy a new spellbook from certain merchants, at which point (I believe) the prior spells are restored and you can open the list again to cast.

I say this to explain that it's really just sort of being locked out of UI for a time, rather than actually containing spells. Not to oppose any idea given thus far, but to give a groundwork of what DF does to where this mod idea would lead.
Huh. Is this something you have direct experience with, or something you've been told? I've never encountered a merchant who sold spellbooks - Although obviously there's a lot of places in Daggerfall I've never been. :)

Not accusing you; just clarifying. If you have direct experience, then that's that; but if it's something you heard, then obviously we need to check it out. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

No, no problem at all. You can buy them from magic item salespeople in the Mages Guild at least, though not at all locations. I'm not sure if the same applies to Julianos temples, which also sell magic items.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote:No, no problem at all. You can buy them from magic item salespeople in the Mages Guild at least, though not at all locations. I'm not sure if the same applies to Julianos temples, which also sell magic items.
Huh, cool.

Guess that's why - I have characteritus, and almost never get high enough in rank to buy magic items.

Still, could be a clue as to the original plans for spellbooks.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

My original theory was that they wanted to give players some way to recover their casting ability after dropping their spellbook by accident. It would be incredibly obtuse to do so through a Mages Guild vendor who requires 39+ casting ability to access their services, but "obtuse" was not something Daggerfall was afraid of :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote:My original theory was that they wanted to give players some way to recover their casting ability after dropping their spellbook by accident. It would be incredibly obtuse to do so through a Mages Guild vendor who requires 39+ casting ability to access their services, but "obtuse" was not something Daggerfall was afraid of :)
I'm shocked!, shocked I tells ya!

Daggerfall? Obtuse?

Naah... :lol:

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

By the way you can pick up Arx Fatalis on Steam for $5.
Well worth it.

If anybody can suggest a game with a more immersive spell casting experience i'm all ears.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

arx fatalis was great! Some of the developers were the same as those working on ultima underworld. You can tell this by things like level design, art design and atmosphere ;)