Old mods for a new Daggerfall

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
MathematicalTea

Old mods for a new Daggerfall

Post by MathematicalTea »

This link, http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files, contains some of the few existing mods to vanilla Daggerfall, including unofficial bug fixes which are very useful. I'm wondering if it is possible to implement these mods (especially the bug fixes) into DF Unity. I do not have the programming experience, but if any of you would have a go at it, I think it would be very useful.
Exterminate all Rational Thought.

Interkarma

Re: Old mods for a new Daggerfall

Post by Interkarma »

Hey MathematicalTea, welcome to the forums. :)

Almost all of those unofficial fixes apply to your copy of the game data. This isn't something I need to do with Daggerfall Unity because it connects to your install of the game and uses that same data.

So if your copy of Daggerfall's game data is patched, then Daggerfall Unity is patched as well as far as that data goes. I have other new bugs all of my own. :) I always recommend people use the DaggerfallSetup installer which installs all those key game data fixes for you.

Quests (which are decompiled and included with Daggerfall Unity) have all the available quest fixes applied. They still have lots of bugs even then. Fortunately it's easier than ever to fix quests as they're now just a plain text file that is compiled at runtime.

For the other mods, some of them can work with Daggerfall Unity (those that swap textures and text for example), but your mileage may vary. Under the hood, Daggerfall Unity has a whole new engine and a different way of doing things, so any compatibility with high content mods like Werefall, etc. would have to be recreated. It would be interesting to see one day though.