[Idea] Bashing Door Actually Breaks Door

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Eksevis

[Idea] Bashing Door Actually Breaks Door

Post by Eksevis »

I wish I could think of a better name - maybe "Breakable Doors"?

Anyway, basically, the idea would be that bashing a door to unlock it would actually break it - whether entirely or just enough that it swings open. For example, maybe just the handle part breaks off.

(as of 7/30/2017)
Compiled Ideas
Jay_H wrote:One change I was thinking of making is including weapon weight in the algorithm. It's quite silly to imagine a sledgehammer and a dagger having the same utility to open a door :) It would also somewhat penalize the "exploit" of using your fists to bash a door open, since fists don't deteriorate like weapons do
Narf the Mouse wrote:Daggerfall house/store interiors are simple enough you might be able to import them right into the gameworld.

For certain of them, there'd be some problem of fitting the floor-plan into the outline, but that could be handled on a case-by-case basis.

For extra speed-up, maybe only instance interiors if they can be seen into, or if the PC is in them. Interior of some store on the other side of the city and behind the PC doesn't need to be instanced.
Eksevis wrote:... But anyway, you *could* add a small bit of the house were it looks like a door frame, and just have it blacked out like you would with a Skyrim cave.
Last edited by Eksevis on Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MathematicalTea

Re: [Idea] Bashing Door Actually Breaks Door

Post by MathematicalTea »

Eksevis wrote:I wish I could think of a better name - maybe "Breakable Doors"?

Anyway, basically, the idea would be that bashing a door to unlock it would actually break it - whether entirely or just enough that it swings open. For example, maybe just the handle part breaks off.
Um... Is this Minecraft? Why would you want that? What good would it do? If there are people working on actually useful mods to enhance immersion and to game-play. This mod would provide absolutely no increase in value to the game. Besides, DF Unity is still in its Alpha phase. It isn't even complete yet. If you are really interested in the revolutionary, game-changing concept of breaking doors, you will have to build it yourself.
Exterminate all Rational Thought.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

For what it's worth, you can already try your lockpick skill, and if that fails, bash doors until they swing open in Daggerfall Unity. This is just part of the base game reimplemented from classic.

But it would be cool to see a mod that explodes successfully bashed doors into splinters, or something along those lines. It would definitely enhance RP gameplay for a barbarian type with a penchant for huge door-wrecking hammers. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

One change I was thinking of making is including weapon weight in the algorithm. It's quite silly to imagine a sledgehammer and a dagger having the same utility to open a door :) It would also somewhat penalize the "exploit" of using your fists to bash a door open, since fists don't deteriorate like weapons do.

Some greater issue with this is the fact that Daggerfall uses separate cells in its world, so if you attempt to break the entry door to a store, you'd have to account for all that empty space inside the external building.

But if you want to find a way to make other doors topple right off their hinges, I'm all for that :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote:One change I was thinking of making is including weapon weight in the algorithm. It's quite silly to imagine a sledgehammer and a dagger having the same utility to open a door :) It would also somewhat penalize the "exploit" of using your fists to bash a door open, since fists don't deteriorate like weapons do.

Some greater issue with this is the fact that Daggerfall uses separate cells in its world, so if you attempt to break the entry door to a store, you'd have to account for all that empty space inside the external building.

But if you want to find a way to make other doors topple right off their hinges, I'm all for that :)
Daggerfall house/store interiors are simple enough you might be able to import them right into the gameworld.

For certain of them, there'd be some problem of fitting the floor-plan into the outline, but that could be handled on a case-by-case basis.

For extra speed-up, maybe only instance interiors if they can be seen into, or if the PC is in them. Interior of some store on the other side of the city and behind the PC doesn't need to be instanced.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

You speak of reproducing the building's interior at the moment the door's broken down, right? Otherwise I'm imagining that the cities would include every single building interior at once, which would have a crazy memory footprint.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I didn't even consider Eksevis was talking about exterior doors. If so, I have some bad news - they're not actually doors. :)

From a tech point of view "exterior doors" are just a texture painted onto a couple of polygons. There are no moveable parts on the model or any opening where the door is pictured. Even if there was an aperture, interiors were designed to be instanced are not guaranteed to fit perfectly inside their exterior shell.

Doing stuff to interior doors in buildings and dungeons is feasible - they're actually proper doors. The things on the outside of buildings and dungeons are really just pretty hit boxes.

Arl

Post by Arl »

Maybe interior doors could have this effect, or at least show a texture change to differentiate a bashed door from an intact one along side the opening animation, and for exteriors just the change in texture.

MathematicalTea wrote:Um... Is this Minecraft? Why would you want that? What good would it do? If there are people working on actually useful mods to enhance immersion and to game-play. This mod would provide absolutely no increase in value to the game. Besides, DF Unity is still in its Alpha phase. It isn't even complete yet. If you are really interested in the revolutionary, game-changing concept of breaking doors, you will have to build it yourself.
Why would this hypotetical mod not add to the game experience? By the premise I think it could be a nice mod and I surely would use it and not return to how door bashing is handled in vanilla DF.

This thread have "[Idea]" on the titled, and it's properly placed in a sub-forum that says this: "Talk about the mods or features you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!".

If it's a wonderful idea or not or if he is capable of implementing it or not is irrelevant, the point of these exchanges are the flow of ideas for whoever is willing and able to develop them further. So let's just have fun talking about them. ;)
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Eksevis

Post by Eksevis »

I wasn't thinking about exterior doors. Admittedly I spend as little time in a town as I can - in part because mostly only the combat is implemented when it comes to things to do. But anyway, you *could* add a small bit of the house were it looks like a door frame, and just have it blacked out like you would with a Skyrim cave.

Also, if you wanted to use a more catchy but not necessarily creative name, "Enhanced Door Bashing".

Actually, that sounds pretty funny to me. Is that just me?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Perhaps "Realistic Door Bashing." My Morrowind mod trappings make me think "Realistic X" has to do with things like this, and "Enhanced X" refers to improvements on clunky or bad game mechanics.

But hey, it is your mod, so the name's up to you ;)