I've seen how much progress has been done in my absence and I am so impressed! In this topic I want to share some of my thoughts on Vampire Clans and how to make them truly unique. It seems that it soon should be possible to implement, I certainly hope so!
I love vampires. I love them as enemies, they are menacing, strong, cunning and a whole lot of fun to fight, when done properly. I especially love games which allow you to play as a vampire. Vampire: The Masquerade — Bloodlines comes to mind, but let's face it, no other game comes close to it and the game itself is a bit of a mess at times. But what else? TES games with mods always give you the best experience playing as a vampire. They also provide absolute freedom, unlike VtMB.
I've had so much fun in Morrowind with Vampire Embrace mod, which allowed you to seduce mortals, feed on their blood, create thralls and embrace vampires. There were so many possibilities in the mod! To this day, I think Morrowind vampires provide some of the best experience combined with this mod. Unholy Darkness for Oblivion came very close, also had so much fun with it. And finally, Better Vampires and Dawnguard DLC fix Skyrim vampires for good. Dawnguard is actually a very sweet expansion and even radiant quests in it are quite fun.
But back to the topic at hand. This is not about revamping Vampirism itself, which I think should also be done at some point, and I have a few ideas as well. This topic is about factions though. What's the point of clans, if they are all the same? Bethesda clearly was inspired by the World of Darkness when they came up with idea of clans, unfortunately, they didn't take it anywhere.
What I propose, is to make every clan unique. They will still share common traits and quests, but each clan will have special bonuses and extra quests available only to this one clan. They will also have their own history, personality, culture, etc. I've also attached a Daedra Prince to each clan, whose personality and domain is closely related to them, but I don't think this connection is very strong, it's more of an inspiration.
Once you’ve been embraced, you can’t change your clan and other clans will most likely hate you, but you have an opportunity to build a good relationship with your clan.
At first, they will treat you like garbage, but if you will prove your worth to them, they will grant you new home and many services.
But if you ignore your clan or provoke them, they will consider you an enemy and will try to eliminate you.
Visually, I propose to make eye color change depending on the clan. This way, player would easily see the difference between attacking vampires and what clan they belong to. It also helps visually differentiante the clans, when they have different color associated with them.
Here is my vision for all the clans:
• Anthosis – is a clan of Dervish Mystics, influenced by Hermaeus Mora. This dervish clan has claimed the territory of Alik’r Desert and nearby lands. These vampires are obsessed with knowledge and protection of their secrets.
• Garlythi – is a clan of Insane Gypsies, influenced by Sheogorath. This insane clan resides in northern regions of High Rock – Northmoor and Phrygias. Not easy to understand, they group together and share their madness with each other, though some prefer isolation. The clan pays little attention to your actions and gives the craziest quests.
• Haarvenu – is a clan of Wild Animalists, influenced by Hircine. This beastly clan has settled in the central regions of High Rock. Closer to werewolves in their behavior, they have attunement with the wild world.
• Khulari – is a clan of Brutal Warriors, influenced by Boethiah. This mighty clan has captured the territory of Dragontail Mountains and nearby lands. These are mighty warriors, who love a good fight and prefer to completely dominate their opponent in combat, rather than plot schemes.
• Lyrezi – is a clan of Dark Warlocks, influenced by Namira. This vile clan has grasped large territories in the eastern High Rock, including Wrothgarian Mountains, Orsinium, Isle of Balfiera and others. They are mighty warlocks, with great powers of destruction.
• Montalion – is a clan of Sensual Connoisseurs, influenced by Sanguine. This charming clan has seized the lands of Wayrest and nearby regions. These vampires are very charming and elegant, seduction is their art.
• Selenu – is a clan of Deadly Rogues, influenced by Nocturnal. This shady clan took control over Sentinel and nearby lands. These vampires are masters of stealth and prefer to hunt their prey in the dark, rather than use seduction or charms.
• Thrafey – is a clan of Decadent Necromancers, influenced by Mephala. This dreadful clan has gained the power in the central High Rock, in the lands of Daenia, Dwynnen, Ykalon and Urvaius. These vampires are masters of necromancy and constantly use undead to do their bidding.
• Vraseth – is a clan of Assertive Rulers, influenced by Molag Bal. This powerful clan rules the lands of Western High Rock, including Daggerfall. They are masters of mind domination and easily turn mortals into willing slaves.
Joseph Vargo's works also made great concepts for the clans:
If you have any comments, ideas, criticism - feel free to share!