Click to attack

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Jay_H

Click to attack

Post by Jay_H »

I just wanted to make a concrete topic on this, since there's been some demand for it:

viewtopic.php?t=623#p6441
viewtopic.php?t=734#p8623
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=307#p2687
http://www.reddit.com/r/daggerfallunity ... _swinging/

Since the demand will likely remain, this may be an important add-on in the future.

Bender

Re: Click to attack

Post by Bender »

I would not mind seeing this eventually get implemented. Would be interesting to see though how the various types of attacks get implemented though on the click system.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'd compare it to Morrowind's "always use best attack" option. It reduces the gameplay and the player's options, but it's intended for people who find such options to be hindrances rather than features. My imagining is that it would just choose attacks at random.

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Click to attack would obviously not be for everyone but I think small improvements like these that make the game more accessible to fans of the later TES games deserve a mod.

Could just make it play a random animation with base attack/dmg (same as horizontal slash) used every time. Doesn't seem that hard to do.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've just posted a poll on Twitter asking if people would like this as an option. The classic hold and swipe attacks would obviously not be removed.

If results are in the positive (which I'm guessing they will be) I'll work this option into the core.

Bender

Post by Bender »

Sounds good, especially having both as an option for those who want either or. Thank you.

CM August

Post by CM August »

I had begun to tire of the clicky combat in Morrowind after several playthroughs. Swiping in DFU is still refreshing to me, especially after tweaking the sensitivity; now I swing in any direction with the slightest nudge of the mouse. It really helps to reduce fatigue and gives me complete control. But it's nice to know the click option will be available should I change my mind. :)

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

Sacrilege!

Now seriously, I won't use it because I think the mouse gesture combat is actually one of the most awesome things about Daggerfall, which I would like to see in later games instead of the other way around... but the more options to adapt the game to everyone's taste, the better! :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I also prefer swipe attacks and believe they are a unique part of Daggerfall. There's nice strategy around the system too, sacrificing mobility for attacks and selecting a strike based on speed vs. damage vs. hit chance. It creates a rhythmic push/pull to the combat I prefer over the more common click-strafe frenzy of running in circles around things mashing one button.

Unfortunately a lot of players just don't have swipe attacks in their gaming vocabulary. I find this a bit surprising in 2017 considering the prevalence of touch screens and motion controllers. Swipes are a more common verb in 2017 than in 1996 - yet people still think the control scheme is old-school?

Anyway, the call for this option is overwhelming. Hopefully it will help more people experience Daggerfall with joy. The classic swipe attacks aren't going anywhere and will remain the default setting.

Bender

Post by Bender »

I don't mind the mouse swipe as much as you might think, but always considered it more of a novelty even way back when. By today's standards monsters in daggerfall were very static with basic AI. I always saw the mouse swiping as an attempt to make the combat more dynamic against such static monsters. I'm ok with that mind you as I agree it adds it's own specific charm, but after awhile it wears on me. The strategy to me was having the right equipment for the task and knowing when and were to attack. Even if you are just clicking, some monsters are so strong early on you have no choice but to back pedal and circle while attacking. I seem to remember to that morrowind is more than just clicking as well. Attacks can be varied with stabs, thrusts or swings based on your movement of the keys which i find more intuitive. I would argue that's equally dynamic and offers it's own strategy that does not require constant flinging of the mouse. Now, if you could also add shield blocking to compliment the mouse attack that would be something. A parry before a swing would change everything.That being said, I chock it up to difference in opinion or preference and not lack of insight or inspiration on some of us that have requested it.