More Provinces?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
MrDowntempo

More Provinces?

Post by MrDowntempo »

How plausible would it be to take the heightmaps from Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, scale them up to match Daggerfall's scale and stitch them together before plugging them into the new engine? Obviously a lot more work would have to be done to place towns and landmarks, but is that something the engine could feasibly support? I know there's been talk of upping the resolution of the original heightmap, but this would instead also require the world size to grow as well.

Jay_H

Re: More Provinces?

Post by Jay_H »

The engine has room for it. There's always the possibility of making additional land cells outside of the Daggerfall map and placing things there. A long time ago, one of DFU's core contributors, Lypyl, made a dungeon generator to piece together a brand-new superdungeon using existing blocks. That same thinking, applied to city blocks and land masses, would produce what you speak of.

Now I'm imagining a Project Tamriel on Daggerfall scale, with a map the size of Europe :lol:

Taking the actual height maps of the succeeding games would be awkward, though. You'd have these enormous rising hills instead of sharp mountains for Morrowind and Skyrim, for instance.

MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

Jay_H wrote:The engine has room for it. There's always the possibility of making additional land cells outside of the Daggerfall map and placing things there. A long time ago, one of DFU's core contributors, Lypyl, made a dungeon generator to piece together a brand-new superdungeon using existing blocks. That same thinking, applied to city blocks and land masses, would produce what you speak of.

Now I'm imagining a Project Tamriel on Daggerfall scale, with a map the size of Europe :lol:

Taking the actual height maps of the succeeding games would be awkward, though. You'd have these enormous rising hills instead of sharp mountains for Morrowind and Skyrim, for instance.
Awesome to hear it is in the realm of possibility! And the heightmaps would certainly need a lot of work but it's a possible starting place.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

This idea is in part identical to the idea brought forward here.
Jay_H wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:01 am Now I'm imagining a Project Tamriel on Daggerfall scale, with a map the size of Europe :lol:
On the one hand, a map the size of Europe would create some problems for the player, mainly concerning traveling from one region to the other, and ability to explore such a huge place at all given the limited time we spend playing. I personally like the idea because it would seem more realistic to play on a map of the whole empire, it would open up innumerable possibilities to be able to wander around in all of Tamriel. I prefer to play one character for a long time, so this wouldn't be such a big issue for me.
On the other hand, though, there is the feasibility issue. How much effort it could take to implement such a plan? I don't know, but I'd say probably 'a lot' and this 'a lot' probably falls far short of truly describing what would be needed. Think of all the terrain features, plants, cultural differences in buildings or NPCs and the line goes on ... it really would be 'a lot' do do it. I perfectly understand an argument along the lines of ...the map is large enough as it is... the game can offer a lot of possibilities without a map expansion ... the time of the developers can be more efficiently spent on other projects. With all that said, if there were people who implemented such a change, I would probably like to try it and if it is not broken in other ways, play it.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

meritamas wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:38 am On the one hand, a map the size of Europe would create some problems for the player, mainly concerning traveling from one region to the other, and ability to explore such a huge place at all given the limited time we spend playing.
I don't see that as a problem. Most of us don't get the chance to explore all the countries in the real world, but it's great that they are there and you can go to one you particularly like if you insist.

The vastness of the world has always been one of the things I love from Daggerfall, and the fact that you just cannot explore the whole of it, and you may visit different locations and live in different places than another player, just improves immersion for me.