A good mod idea

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!

Which province should I start with?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:10 pm

Daggerfall
No votes
Sentinel
No votes
Wayrest
No votes

Total votes: 0

tgp02

A good mod idea

Post by tgp02 »

Sorry that I've been absent, I've tried to learn Unity but failed, so I'm trying to be a bit more practical. My idea would be a hand drawn map of every province and the whole of the world of Daggerfall, with different modes such as terrain, locations and reputation. I could potentially draw the map myself and could request some people to fill in it with color and such, if anyone is up for it. I'm decent at cartography,
byzantium map.jpg
byzantium map.jpg (102.45 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
this being an example of my skill but I'm looking to practice, so this might be a good outlet for that. I could get a piece of paper for every province and use it as a backdrop. I want to see what you think!

Thanks! : :D

Sincerely,

Four King Radio

King of Worms

Re: A good mod idea

Post by King of Worms »

Hello! Hold on pls :)

Province maps like this:
FMAP0I17.IMG.png
FMAP0I17.IMG.png (45.09 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
... they dont need any remaster IMO. This is upscaled and pretty clean if you ask me. I have those maps ready for all regions, and wait for engine to allow their implementation.

You see, IF you start to add details to this simple map, things like trees, mountains and basically all the details from the main map, Im very sure the map will become hard to read very fast - when you have 100s of dots representing dungeons, cities, temples, shrines, manors and whatever on them, it might be hard to see those tiny dots on a detailed background. Its good as it is I THINK. There is a reason for them being so simple - its good for orientation and readability (same as real maps - simple as well)
Also, you will deal with 51 provinces...

I think, what we need is to have HD remake of this main map
TRAV0I00.IMG.PNG
TRAV0I00.IMG.PNG (48.1 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
Yes, there were few ppl who tryed to do this, but the best what we really have now, is this map by Rhymer in 1024x640 res in 124kb JPEG :/ And Rhymer is nowhere to be seen IMO, which is a huge loss... but... its how it is. IF someone has a contact on him, pls correct me - and tell him we want him and his work back :twisted:
00.jpg
00.jpg (146.01 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
SO IMO, this would be perfect start. To have this main map in high resolution in a lossless format, from which you can create some lower res versions in case its beneficial/needed...

AND MORE IMPORTANTLY

IF you make really good detailed and HIGH RES (4k?) main map, you can TRY to use it as a background of these small provinces? Maybe make it darker, with lesser opacity or slightly out of focus so the dots representing locations on the map can be visible and stand out enough?

Anyway, I reserve right to be completely wrong, but this is my opinion so far, based on what Ive learned. Also, all work put in this project is appreciated, thanks for offering your skills and time! Welcome back!