Will DFU Have Parallax Occlusion Mapping?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Mosin Nagant

Will DFU Have Parallax Occlusion Mapping?

Post by Mosin Nagant »

Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere else, but I can't seem to find any info on whether or not DFU will/does support parallax occlusion mapping. Things like city walls just beg for it, especially with high resolution texture replacements. I'm not very familiar with the Unity Engine, so I'm not entirely sure what kind of native support the engine has for it.

And slightly off topic: but could POM also be applied to certain sprites, like rocks, or even trees to give them more depth? I have to imagine that up-scaled sprites could benefit from the effect. I'm sure some of the effect would be lost given that sprites are always aligned to the camera, but it would certainly be an interesting experiment.
Previously known as LordMordecai on DXL forums

Interkarma

Re: Will DFU Have Parallax Occlusion Mapping?

Post by Interkarma »

Unity supports regular parallax mapping on the Standard shader, which is pretty much the effect you're after. You should be able to use this with upgraded materials, but would need to create a mod package. I don't think the loose texture replacement files are capable of this.

If you have any deep questions about the mod system, throw a question towards TheLacus. He's the author behind most of these features and has a much deeper understanding than myself.