Knights of the Nine Style Order

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Shadow

Knights of the Nine Style Order

Post by Shadow »

Back in the days when Daggerfall was still new we had to hex edit almost all mods into the game due to the lack of official modding tools. One Hex edit some forum user discovered let you join multiple Knightly Orders or Temples. I cannot quite remember the specifics on how this was done, but you can look it up if you're that desperate to find out. With Hazelnut's recent work in the area of guilds and factions on my mind, when I stumbled across this very hex edit on UESP I had an idea. Create an oblivion style knighthood of elite soldiers and paladins. There could be a few ranks, Pilgrim, Apprentice, Knight, Crusader, Divine Crusader or whatever else.
This would act as a knighthood with all the base knighthood quests included, and also slightly altered to maintain the theme of the order. In addition, add a small quest pack accessible only by this knighthood on top of the standard quests. By joining this knighthood you would technically join all the other temples but your rank would be limited. Rather then getting max rank in all temples you could go to maybe second or third rank in the temples then get your rank set to "Crusader" to signify that you are related to the temple by proxy of the new guild. This would just be an easy way of checking if this character is a normal part of the temple, or if he's a member of the new guild coming by to help. By helping the temples a certain amount, and gaining a certain reputation with them and the knightly order you would be permitted to get a promotion. And maybe when you hit max rank get some cool stuff. Maybe make a custom effect and strap that on a new armor set you get when promoted to a certain rank? Maybe even have a treasure hunt quest that you must complete prior to getting your promotion, and by the time you are max rank you'll have the whole set of armor? Just ideas. The guild would have to provide some reason to join. The mages guild had the spell vendor, spell maker, magic item maker, magic item salesman and more. The Fighters Guild had the Smith, free housing, training and need I go on? If you don't see joining all the temples as a good reason then maybe have a priest who can pray with you to get some cool temporary effects.
I have thought this out for a while and am going to take a shot at making this work at the very least. I haven't looked into any of the technical aspects of the guild system as it's found in DFU yet so no promises on me actually working on it, let alone completing it but who knows. I might wait for a more stable, feature complete alpha or beta before working on any mods but I'll poke around in the summer to see if this is feasible, how hard it would be and whether I'll wait for beta or not.