Mod request: Alternate Swing Mechanics

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
BansheeXYZ

Mod request: Alternate Swing Mechanics

Post by BansheeXYZ »

I know I talked about this before a loooong time ago when DFUnity was fledgling, but now it can have it's own thread here.

One of the few things that truly bugs me about vanilla is the weapon swing mechanics. For some reason, vanilla locks your viewpoint when you swing your weapon. Don't. It's bad. It's awful. I can't strafe around enemies while swinging without losing sight of them. I also lose my ability to evade by backing off. Backing off becomes "rub up next to enemy even more". Compounding the problem is that registering a swing is awkward because of the lock/threshold.

Now, I realize that DF has swing types based on mouse movement. Fine. Just have the swing be on click, not click and hold thresholds. And the swing type based on direction analysis of where the crosshair was coordinated the last 10ms. No threshold, no lock. A click is a swing, and you micro move your mouse before clicking (to determine swing type) while looking so that it doesn't take over your ability to keep looking around. I can see it working very well in my head. Try it, please try it. :D

Jay_H

Re: Mod request: Alternate Swing Mechanics

Post by Jay_H »

This already exists. It's an option available in setup :D Welcome to the forums!

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Ohhh, I see it now. "Click to attack". Thank you so much for adding that. After 20 years, the worst part of vanilla has been defeated!

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Well to add to this topic. I'll put in my two cents.

Click to attack is revolutionary! Love it! Buuuuuut I hate that it's random swipes each time. I'd love to see a Morrowind equivalent where the attack depends on what movement keys you are using.

Example being: W for Stabbing, A for a swipe to the left, and D for a right swipe etc.