Idea: PBR Maps for vanilla textures.

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Arl

Idea: PBR Maps for vanilla textures.

Post by Arl »

Hi there, recently the source port for Doom called GZDoom added support for pbr materials, and with a very handy feature that allows you to place the ao/metallic/roughness/normal map in a specific folder structure to make materials automatically.

I used this to start a project for Doom that adds the required maps for pbr to all the vanilla lowres textures in Doom: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... -textures/

The problem with Doom is that there's no actual PBR enviroment to make the most of those materials, only some sporadic dynamic lights can show how textures with those maps looks like in game. Daggerfall Unity, by the other hand, have an omni light in exteriors and some nice light sources in interiors, I think pbr maps in vanilla textures would look very good and would preserve more faithfully the vanilla look while improving the visuals.

Do you think somehing like this is worth pursuing in DFU? I trust TheLacus to come and say this is already possible to do, so I can put myself to work on it.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Nystul

Re: Idea: PBR Maps for vanilla textures.

Post by Nystul »

realtime reflections mod uses metallic/roughness maps for vanilla textures already...

Arl

Post by Arl »

Nystul wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:45 pm realtime reflections mod uses metallic/roughness maps for vanilla textures already...

Yes I remember.

How was your implementation for it? "realtime reflections" sounds very taxing for the scope of what I'm talking about, but maybe you used screen space reflections, I don't know.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

You can add textures to default material with the StreamingAssets/Textures folder as explained here. I still haven't updated docs to add that you can also import an entire material from a .dfmod but i mentioned it here in the forum. Not all shader properties are supported because they must be enabled in game at compile time. Right now we can use normal, emission and metallicgloss. Tell me if you need more informations :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Arl wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:53 pm
Nystul wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:45 pm realtime reflections mod uses metallic/roughness maps for vanilla textures already...

Yes I remember.

How was your implementation for it? "realtime reflections" sounds very taxing for the scope of what I'm talking about, but maybe you used screen space reflections, I don't know.
planar reflection planes and a custom shader injected in the deferred render path with command buffers. Screen space reflections have their pros and cons but the main reason for not using them was at the time back then that all dfunity textures were by default full metallic and glossy leading to all surfaces reflecting everything.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Man those doom textures are 11/10 its beautiful, great work! These low res textures really look so stylish with the rendering. Would be great to have the same in daggerfall for sure