[MOD] Archaeologists

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
delvisomanda

Re: [MOD] Archaeologists

Post by delvisomanda »

Well, I ran the mod with a new build. It seems that the painting is the only object that has this problem.
Spoiler!
pd: the translation is in its initial stages of development, only the main quests and the textures are being translated at the moment.
Currently translating Daggerfall into Spanish.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Just added a new quest to slay a mummy that other Archaeologists accidentally revived in a farm home. This isn't the substance of what the Archaeologists do. I'm just adding content while trying to think of meaningful quests in harmony with their purpose. I hope that'll happen soon.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I'll give you some pointers and ideas, but if ya not feeling it - feel free to do something else and come back to it.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

Idea (I don't know if this is possible):

The guild heard that an old piece of equipment from the god "ebonarm" is in a random dungeon.
You can place corpses with notes, containing orders to retrieve the "item". And these corpses have to be ebonarm worshippers.
When you find the location of the item, you find a corpse (of a very dumb but very skilled warrior) with a note to the actual location.
Something like, "Rimamberr, thy hidiout isin 'Name of dungeon' ".
You can go to the dungeon or go back to the guild, because if someone killed all the worshippers, it has to be powerful.
If you go to that dungeon, it has to be small, full of corpses and in a room it has to spawn a high-level enemy. When you kill it, then you can recover the item and return to the guild.
Take whatever ideas you want or can implement.
Currently translating Daggerfall into Spanish.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:31 pm I'll give you some pointers and ideas, but if ya not feeling it - feel free to do something else and come back to it.
I might cut out one or two of the quests I'm making now (the mummy one literally took me 15 minutes to make, testing included, so I don't feel a big sense of loss through it.) Part of it has to do with player feedback, and with having a varied gameplay setting; classic Thieves Guild only sent you to taverns, classic Dark Brotherhood only sent you to murder people in dungeons, etc, and that's what I want to avoid. This is about as far away from the Archaeologists' purpose I want to go, but I still don't feel like it's too far away, particularly as a menial task.

What you wrote about Tamriel's languages is a rich foundation, though. I'm going to focus on that. I'm already halfway through quest 5, so I'll have something out that I think is more focused. That said, I'll never turn away pointers from the modder :)

Also, the questgiver for Archaeologists is female, according to your quest file?
delvisomanda wrote: The guild heard that an old piece of equipment from the god "ebonarm" is in a random dungeon.
You can place corpses with notes, containing orders to retrieve the "item". And these corpses have to be ebonarm worshippers.
When you find the location of the item, you find a corpse (of a very dumb but very skilled warrior) with a note to the actual location.
Something like, "Rimamberr, thy hidiout isin 'Name of dungeon' ".
You can go to the dungeon or go back to the guild, because if someone killed all the worshippers, it has to be powerful.
If you go to that dungeon, it has to be small, full of corpses and in a room it has to spawn a high-level enemy. When you kill it, then you can recover the item and return to the guild.
Take whatever ideas you want or can implement.
Multiple quest objects/enemies in the same dungeon isn't possible, nor is placing an item on an already dead corpse, nor is creating a room full of corpses. Maybe at some point people can mod them in :) For now we can make a quest like that without the elements previously named.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

The questgiver for the guild was always female until the new guild halls were added in 0.2, I decided that the NPCs should change for variety so quest giver is male in some halls. Is this an issue at all?

Leave the mummy quest, although I want some language based quests (esp. at higher scholarly levels of membership) the first 4 levels are for field workers (grunts) which means doing dangerous stuff on behalf of the guild scholars. (you can fight or sneak depending on char build) I think 1or 2 quest that the actual objective is to slay something is fine. Players can always refuse. :) Mostly it should be knowledge that's being sought, or the objective should support seeking knowledge/artefacts, or sometimes to help the guild for other tangential reasons.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'm not sure if gender's going to affect anything. The quest file asks you to define who the questor is, and up until now it's always been male (every non-MQ questgiver in the game is male, except for the maid Br'itsa, who gets referred to as a "he"). So I don't know if that'll cause some misnaming later on. Might as well give it a shot and see what happens.

I'm making particular strides to make the Archaeologists pacifist-possible as far as I can. A mummy is somewhat tolerable, but I want to ensure no one need be a murderer to be an Archaeologist. The research notes quest has a trigger I made that obviates the need to kill someone, using "injured" rather than "slain."

005 and 006 are going to have some minor indications towards language, and I think they'll be much more Archaeologist-like. At some future point quests could be modded to have language skill checks, which would open some more opportunities.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I've already found an issue with quest npcs and gender - I was rescuing a 'princess' on one knights quest and she had a beard. :o Something I plan to investigate, I know that quests can specify gender for npcs, but the classic quests don't so need to figure out how classic does it. Unless of course this was a bug and isn't just DFU behaviour.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Classic mixes up gender all the time. Daggerfall Unity should get the face right provided you specify gender in quest for npc resource. Let me know if you continue to have troubles after adding gender tag to script and I'll investigate.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Ah, okay - that was the fix I would have suggested if I couldn't figure out how classic did this. If you're sure it doesn't then all the quest scripts should have gender added as you suggest.