[MOD] KOWs Daggerfall Remaster

A curated forum for approved mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Jay_H

Re: [MOD] KOWs Daggerfall Remaster

Post by Jay_H » Thu May 17, 2018 2:04 am

They look like Wesnoth quality. That's a good thing :D I'll wait to hear the source.
**INDEFINITE HIATUS** Current priority list: 1. Writing new DFU quests; 2. Writing Archaeologist content; 3. Revamping classic DF quests. Only in free time, no guarantees made.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms » Thu May 17, 2018 10:38 am

Thanks, no I dont draw these sprites and I really dont know who draw them, im sorry guys. I just make sure they fit in game, and that the technical aspects are 110%... and its a lot of work, believe me. Takes "a while" before u can post such results as those above... Yes, many tryed, all "failed". Because this is a gigantic task and needs a attention span counred in years not in weeks. Im limited by my spine and eyes. Also, my current situation is really pitch black.... (bla bla sorry for OT)
Last edited by King of Worms on Mon May 21, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut » Thu May 17, 2018 3:26 pm

Very nice, but they are a completely different style to classic to my eyes. Are they for a different 'pack'? (sorry if I missed something)

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu May 17, 2018 4:55 pm

Right, KOW - are these new sprites planned to be included in your remaster mod by default? Also, how many are covered of all the sprites in Daggerfall? As much as I like them, I could see people not wanting something so different in their game from the vanilla "style," and in any case the difference would be more jarring for everybody if e.g. only 10% of the sprites are in this new style and the other 90% of the game sprites are in the vanilla style. Again, I'm not saying it's realistic to expect you or anyone else to ever fully redo all of the sprites in the game; just curious how you see this being integrated with your work, if at all.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms » Mon May 21, 2018 6:21 pm

Ok, sorry for my last post, I was not in a best mood... truth be told, I dont know all the authors of the sprites anyway :lol:

And yes, these sprites will be a separate download, so ppl who want to go as vanilla as possible will be satisfied. But, I make my best to make those sprites fit the game - its a tedious work, but when it clicks, its worth it IMO. For ex. the sentinel queen... she is just BAD in original. Generic fat white lady as a queen of the desert? Not on my shift...

These new NPCs are usually the Nobles... it fits well in game IMO, those are important NPCs and you somehow expect them to be better than the rest. They dont disturb the game flow

BTW I still continue my work on replacing the heads of NPCs with their portraits - but only if the result looks good and makes sense. And I finetune them as well.

This is my v3 of princess Elysana, you be the judge
Spoiler!
princess.jpg
princess.jpg (609.11 KiB) Viewed 146 times

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut » Mon May 21, 2018 8:12 pm

Looks really nice mate.

Also, glad to hear it will be in another pack... although I reckon the biggest issue with configuring DFU for a playthough will be the number of choices and options - but what a fantastic 'problem' to have. :D

Krill'kern

Post by Krill'kern » Mon May 21, 2018 10:30 pm

This looks honestly amazing :)

I can't wait for the new version, whether with or without these new flats.

Nystul

Post by Nystul » Mon May 21, 2018 10:34 pm

I always thought that high res npc sprite replacements can't work with daggerfall, you proved me wrong - it looks spot on!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma » Mon May 21, 2018 10:38 pm

These do look great KoW! But...
King of Worms wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:38 am
Thanks, no I dont draw these sprites and I really dont know who draw them, im sorry guys.
I tend to worry about things like artist attribution and licenses. Outsiders might not know (or care) that mods are created by community members and come down hard on myself or the project as a whole. Can you let us know where the art is source from? Cheers.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms » Tue May 22, 2018 10:31 am

Hi, I understand your concerns Interkarma. Problem is, its very hard to backtrack back the source. Its places like pinterest, deviant art. I so far changed 5 NPCs I think.

Found some for you here
http://orig06.deviantart.net/b05c/f/201 ... 5b6blg.jpg
https://charro-art.deviantart.com/art/Scarlet-508610186 (I guess will not be used as it doesnt fit)

basically its places like this
https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/300544975117541616/

https://www.google.cz/search?biw=1920&b ... hE08f9G2MA

I will deffo let you know if I can find more.

My opinion on this is, that these pictrures can be found when you type RPG NPC to google and click for long enough. I have not found any disclaimers about legal issues. Also, the sprites which finally get in game are modified.

1st - I upscale and denoise using Waifu algo - this touches every single sprite and stylizes the result. From this on, I GUESS its basically a different picture than original. Than I go to photoshop, I cut out from background. I adjust hue, saturation, brightness, contrast whatever. I rotate some of the sprites as well. Usually, traces of backgrounds are left - so I make another step and refine edges, this cuts out the outline - and again, this results in slightly different pic than original etc

I think about it as audio samples, I can take The Prodigy sound, add echo and its mine. Same way as they composed their music at start and made it world wide....

Let me know if this is a big issue. I can stop posting pics on forums. And it just sits on my HDD anyway... I think you cant be hold accountable for a hobby of mine. But I want to make sure you are not feeling under pressure because of it and possible implications it might have on your project.