[MOD] Distant Terrain

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Jay_H

Re: Project "Increased Terrain Distance"

Post by Jay_H »

Narf the Mouse wrote:It's not that hard, either.
In vanilla I can't travel manually, even with Eye of Argonia. I never seem to thread the needle to find the place correctly. That's one more thing I can't wait for in DFU: the ability to see where you're headed from a kilometer away, and notice all the other things on each side as you're headed there. I'm assuming my characters will have 200+ running skill within short time as well, which would help with the trip.

From there the natural step would be modding in things that make the wilderness interesting.

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Nystul wrote:But what is already done is that locations are indicated in the far terrain shader by having them a bit brighter than the rest of the texture - my thought was that it would somehow "simulate" that locations cut out foliage in otherwise foliage-dense regions.
Damn, I never realized that.
And BTW: I know it has been mentioned here before, but what about Earth's/planet's curvature? Would it be a problem to implement it via heightmap for the far terrain? Or are there some limits, like inability to go below "sea level"? Or, perhaps that approach would cause abrupt jumps of the distant mountains as the player moves closer... a matter of precission, maybe too demanding (performance).
Narf the Mouse wrote:Thank you for the compliment. :)
You are welcome. :D Nah, I have tried it also in vanilla DF, and it was fun... sort of... :D

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

ifkopifko wrote: And BTW: I know it has been mentioned here before, but what about Earth's/planet's curvature? Would it be a problem to implement it via heightmap for the far terrain? Or are there some limits, like inability to go below "sea level"? Or, perhaps that approach would cause abrupt jumps of the distant mountains as the player moves closer... a matter of precission, maybe too demanding (performance).
this has also been answered before: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=237&start=10#p1941
hope that answers your question ;)

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Yeah, I remember reading that post before, but I forgot about it. :oops:

And, no, it did not answer my question. Probably because I am not a developer nor a programmer, so it doesn't have to be your fault. :D
I suppose that the mentioned "vertex shader" is something that "comes into play" after the geometry is assebled for the frame. Adjusting the heightmap for the far terrain (or is it constructed from something else?) would take place before geometry assembly as I understand it.

And of course, I have no idea how or why a vertex shader breaks up lighting and such... again, not your fault. :D

Well, maybe one morning you will wake up, with some brilliant idea how to apply land curvature in DF Unity. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

maybe yeah, always takes time to develop a good idea ;)
thanks for your interest ;)

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Nystul, It is possible to improve landscape generation? Current is god level compared with vanilla, but it realy far from ideal. Something like that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFlzfTADwR0 with realistic landscape and water.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

not for me. But I would appreciate if you or someone else would manage to push the level even further ;)

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Sad that I'am not a coder :(

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

good news ahead! I found a fix for the problem with global fog not working correctly with the camera stack of the FarTerrain mod before.
FarTerrain is now ready for foggy weather conditions in daggerfall. it should be even possible to make dynamic foggy weather now very easy by changing the fog settings dynamically.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Looks great! :)