[MOD] Distant Terrain

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Interkarma

Re: Project "Increased Terrain Distance"

Post by Interkarma »

I start up with enhanced sky set from the options screen.

Thanks for taking a look. Not really a big problem at all, so no rush. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Interkarma wrote: I've also noticed a weird problem with realtime reflections mod. It's sometimes projecting billboards in front of the player (e.g. tree in below screenshot) across distant water. I'm standing outside Privateer's Hold after starting a new game. I've not seen this behaviour in other places (e.g the pool in front of Castle Daggerfall).
Spoiler!
tree-reflection.jpg
this bug should be fixed with latest pull request #131

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Interkarma wrote:I start up with enhanced sky set from the options screen.

Thanks for taking a look. Not really a big problem at all, so no rush. :)
found the issue, working on a fix now

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I am experiencing a similar issue with unity terrain materials as described here (the workaround from the link does not work though unfortunately):
http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/10 ... updat.html

to cut a long story short:
switching between EnhancedSky and VanillaSky on the fly (at runtime with the toggle button from EnhancedSkyController) with FarTerrain mod on will break fog.
The desired behaviour would be blending into sky when EnhancedSky is active, and using fog color otherwise.
It is now either blending to sky all the time when starting up with EnhancedSky active or using fog color all the time when starting up with EnhancedSky deactivated (trying to change the fog color makes this clear since it then has no effect).
Especially when EnhancedSky is first active and then toggled off the far terrain will blend into the sky rendertexture (but since vanilla sky is not rendering into this rendertexture it blends to a wrong sky color)

This never worked in the past correctly anyway. But now it is officially not supported until I know of a fix of this unity issue (one more of a thousand). You have to start up either with enhanced sky on or off and don't toggle the sky - then it will work as intended.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nystul wrote:I am experiencing a similar issue with unity terrain materials as described here (the workaround from the link does not work though unfortunately):
http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/10 ... updat.html

to cut a long story short:
switching between EnhancedSky and VanillaSky on the fly (at runtime with the toggle button from EnhancedSkyController) with FarTerrain mod on will break fog.
The desired behaviour would be blending into sky when EnhancedSky is active, and using fog color otherwise.
It is now either blending to sky all the time when starting up with EnhancedSky active or using fog color all the time when starting up with EnhancedSky deactivated (trying to change the fog color makes this clear since it then has no effect).
Especially when EnhancedSky is first active and then toggled off the far terrain will blend into the sky rendertexture (but since vanilla sky is not rendering into this rendertexture it blends to a wrong sky color)

This never worked in the past correctly anyway. But now it is officially not supported until I know of a fix of this unity issue (one more of a thousand). You have to start up either with enhanced sky on or off and don't toggle the sky - then it will work as intended.
I never use the toggle button. As I said above, I use options on the startup menu. All my testing is done from builds, not in the editor.

Thanks for the time taken on this. I'll see how I go with the latest PR! :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nystul, I've added a TerrainDistance INI setting now in the Experimental section. Valid range is 1 to 4.

If far terrain is enabled, then game startup will automatically reduce current terrain distance - 1. So the default of 3 will become 2. This setup "just works" without the end user needing to worry about managing terrain distance every time they turn far terrain on or off. If they want a more distant near terrain, they can still increase the value manually.

I've kept the terrain distance setting under Experimental as I need to do some tuning with vanilla setup (no far terrain and no enhanced sky) for the fog to work correctly at different terrain distances. I'll promote this value out of experimental sometime in the future.

Xaphir

Post by Xaphir »

Interkarma wrote:Nystul, I've added a TerrainDistance INI setting now in the Experimental section. Valid range is 1 to 4.

If far terrain is enabled, then game startup will automatically reduce current terrain distance - 1. So the default of 3 will become 2. This setup "just works" without the end user needing to worry about managing terrain distance every time they turn far terrain on or off. If they want a more distant near terrain, they can still increase the value manually.

I've kept the terrain distance setting under Experimental as I need to do some tuning with vanilla setup (no far terrain and no enhanced sky) for the fog to work correctly at different terrain distances. I'll promote this value out of experimental sometime in the future.
Is this active in build 28?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Xaphir wrote:Is this active in build 28?
Change just went up to git. Will be in next build.

Xaphir

Post by Xaphir »

Cool beaners

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Interkarma wrote:Nystul, I've added a TerrainDistance INI setting now in the Experimental section. Valid range is 1 to 4.

seems to work fine here ;)
thanks a lot!