[MOD] Distant Terrain

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Xaphir

Re: Project "Increased Terrain Distance"

Post by Xaphir »

I set TerrainDistance to 1 and went in to check the performance. The frame rate hit is attenuated quite a bit from 3, but it looks like I just plain need something better than an R3 Radeon 8400 to run this game. I'm working on that.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

interesting. in the latest live build the transition ring of the FarTerrain is somehow not present. Latest Git version from master works fine.

Xaphir

Post by Xaphir »

Nystul wrote:interesting. in the latest live build the transition ring of the FarTerrain is somehow not present. Latest Git version from master works fine.
I'll check it again on the next build above 30 and give you a performance report.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nystul wrote:interesting. in the latest live build the transition ring of the FarTerrain is somehow not present. Latest Git version from master works fine.
Nystul, was your test from git in a build or from the editor? Could just be a case of shader being stripped from build. From Unity 5.4, I sometimes have to go so far as creating a dummy material in Resources just to ensure the shader is included.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Editor only. Yeah, sounds like the shaders are inexisted in the live build. Only strange that there are no graphical glitches. Would have expected to see them when a shader is missing

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Same, that's how I normally pick up on them as well. I'll have a play with it and try to get fix into next build.

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Xaphir wrote:I set TerrainDistance to 1 and went in to check the performance. The frame rate hit is attenuated quite a bit from 3, but it looks like I just plain need something better than an R3 Radeon 8400 to run this game. I'm working on that.
Sorry to point it out, but your PC is pretty "weak". Although it is a quad-core CPU, it is a low power platform (and a low performance platform in consequence). Performance-wise, it is not even near the recomended i5. And that R3 Radeon is only an inegrated graphics in the CPU/APU, so that's that... Not really a good choice to run DF Unity, even though it can run some old games quite fine (very old games).

Xaphir

Post by Xaphir »

ifkopifko wrote:Sorry to point it out, but your PC is pretty "weak". Although it is a quad-core CPU, it is a low power platform (and a low performance platform in consequence). Performance-wise, it is not even near the recomended i5. And that R3 Radeon is only an inegrated graphics in the CPU/APU, so that's that... Not really a good choice to run DF Unity, even though it can run some old games quite fine (very old games).
For the record, I'm a beta tester. The hardware runs DFU extremely well, except for maximum terrain distance. The objective is not to just run the game, we are testing the game right now; so when I do get a new AMD lap I will actually be continuing to test on this machine and also playing on that one when the game gets out of beta. One of the methods I use as a beta tester to test various things, such as beta graphics drivers, is to test on low to midrange machines. I have found over the years that what is stated about minimum hardware requirements is not actually the minimum hardware requirements.

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

I did not mean any disrespect or anything. I just wanted to say, that that particular platform was low-end when it got released three years ago, nothing more. At least when we talk gaming performance.
Xaphir wrote:I have found over the years that what is stated about minimum hardware requirements is not actually the minimum hardware requirements.
That is most certainly true, because it depends on the player's requirements on framerate or resolution for example.

Xaphir

Post by Xaphir »

ifkopifko wrote:I did not mean any disrespect or anything.
None taken, no worries - it's a tech conversation.
ifkopifko wrote:I just wanted to say, that that particular platform was low-end when it got released three years ago, nothing more. At least when we talk gaming performance.
Well, the purchase was two years ago brand new, but the reason I got it was mainly for testing, and occasional network field diagnostics. Other beta testers don't do this but I do; I find that running baseline hardware makes bugs stand out like a live wire.

That's how I discovered recently that the DFU binary was not exiting from memory. I didn't need to be monitoring memory or the process table to figure out that something was really off. The system let me know real quick. If I had the latest gaming rig running I wouldn't ever have seen that unless I was monitoring system level data closely, which I don't do when I'm running a game for the most part.
ifkopifko wrote:That is most certainly true, because it depends on the player's requirements on framerate or resolution for example.
Sometimes, especially with crossover/Linux platform, you don't need framerate or resolution compromises either. I've seen that alot too.