[Mod] New Locations

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Kamer

Re: [Mod] New Locations

Post by Kamer »

I F'ING LOVE YOU

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:59 pm If this is the case then DFU code has no knowledge or way to interact with the custom locations then, correct? Or am I missing something.
This would be correct, but my feeling is it won't be a huge issue if modders works within the limitations. The mod itself can interact with these locations (as it does have knowledge of them) and can introduce custom encounters, quests and quest actions through the mod system.

It would be a perfect way to introduce self-contained points of interest and other bespoke gameplay without impacting the core game at all. These custom locations could also be used as a hub to send player out using the normal systems to regular dungeons and towns (and ergo connect them to custom guilds, etc.). For example, you could create an Archaeologists "dig site" with bespoke gameplay elements and still direct them to a custom guildhall back in the regular gamespace.

The potential for this in the hands of clever creatives is huge.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Oh finnaly YES! Best mod ever, thing that I waited for long! :shock:
Please guys, any talanted modders, I ask you because I can't do anything, do one of things people waited in that game for years - proper ports in coast cities and towns so it be possible to move on your ship in this cities and ship finnaly not be just a teleport location!
This have impossible limits of ideas - farms around cities, rivers and roards with bridges, elevations and new blicks in cities - with all this daggerfall finally get what it lacked before the most - detailed world that enjoyable to explore everywhere!

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Interkarma wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:09 pm
Hazelnut wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:59 pm If this is the case then DFU code has no knowledge or way to interact with the custom locations then, correct? Or am I missing something.
This would be correct, but my feeling is it won't be a huge issue if modders works within the limitations. The mod itself can interact with these locations (as it does have knowledge of them) and can introduce custom encounters, quests and quest actions through the mod system.

It would be a perfect way to introduce self-contained points of interest and other bespoke gameplay without impacting the core game at all. These custom locations could also be used as a hub to send player out using the normal systems to regular dungeons and towns (and ergo connect them to custom guilds, etc.). For example, you could create an Archaeologists "dig site" with bespoke gameplay elements and still direct them to a custom guildhall back in the regular gamespace.

The potential for this in the hands of clever creatives is huge.
I was waiting on something like this to come along. I have some ideas and just being able to place objects was all I needed.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

FIrst we'll need some prefabs... Then we'll need a script to litter the landscape with them... Then we need to check for enemy and item placement... Then we have endless outdoor adventuring :D

Well, I'll let everyone act first and then set my expectations. You all know where to go with these things :)

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

The immediate thing I wanted to do in DFU was have enemies actually occupy exteriors like:

-Warriors/Archers occupy exterior fortresses
-Bandits/Nightblades/Rogues/animals occupy select hidden dungeons. Would spawn with campfires/horses or amybe even some loot piles
-Undead in graveyards

The works. I imagine the things other's would do like adding farmland outside of cities and such but I see a bunch of projects by many players once we learn.

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Jay_H wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:56 pm Are the objects adjusted to the heightmap? If someone made Hills and Mountains 2.0 or something similar, will the objects track to ground level?

This is very exciting. Perhaps this could be the start of miniature outdoor dungeons. I'm curious as to whether these places can sustain enemy spawn points.
The objects are adjusted to heightmaps, or rather it flattens the terrain in terrain space the object occupy and smooth the terrain around them. Similar to how Daggerfall Vanilla locations do.

I hope to be able add enemy spawn points in future

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Geeeeeez. This is absolutely brilliant.

Well then, best of luck getting everything implemented! I love it already.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Now we need a mod that makes the ocean an actual ocean and not a giant piece of rock and we are golden.

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

Kamer wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:49 am Now we need a mod that makes the ocean an actual ocean and not a giant piece of rock and we are golden.
Interkarma actually made a poll asking people if they wanted this to be a based thing that comes with Daggerfall Unity (as an option ofc), and the response was a pretty solid yes, so this might even be a base game thing. :D