[Mod] New Locations

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Uncanny_Valley

[Mod] New Locations

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

This mod enable the addition of new exterior location to the world of Daggerfall.

Location Loader
The mod file that enables the addition of new exterior locations
LocationLoader 0.3.zip
(32.19 KiB) Downloaded 6470 times
Test Location
A collection of example locations
TestLocations.zip
(10.07 KiB) Downloaded 1699 times
Locations Loader Source
Source code for the location loader. This also includes the unity editor script that allow you to create your own locations
LocationLoaderSource.zip
(16.9 KiB) Downloaded 803 times
Last edited by Uncanny_Valley on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Re: [Mod] New Locations

Post by Interkarma »

Oh damn! This is very smart!

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

holy crap - how do you pull this off all the time? you are ingenious ;)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Woah... this has incredible potential to seed the currently lifeless and massive "wilderness" with more interesting content to encourage exploration off the beaten path. Very nice!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Hi UV, I'm curious as to how are you integrating these location prefabs into the streamed world based on DF data files?

I had quite a lot of thoughts about how this could be done when I was creating the WorldData override system - which is only implemented for buildings up to now. Do you have a public repo with the code for the mod somewhere I could look at?

It would be nice if the methods could be unified.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:01 pm Hi UV, I'm curious as to how are you integrating these location prefabs into the streamed world based on DF data files?

I had quite a lot of thoughts about how this could be done when I was creating the WorldData override system - which is only implemented for buildings up to now. Do you have a public repo with the code for the mod somewhere I could look at?

It would be nice if the methods could be unified.
The simple answer is that, it's not integrated. The location prefabs are added completely "post". My first goal was to make something that just worked, that did what I wanted it to do. My next step is to make it a more clean and elegant solution and slowly expand on it.

I don't have a public repo with the code, but that is a good idea.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

How on earth do they appear in the world at specific coords if it's not integrated with DFU streaming world code? Are you layering it on top of DFU as a Unity object - thingy.. sorry my Unity knowledge is rather sparse.. :D

If this is the case then DFU code has no knowledge or way to interact with the custom locations then, correct? Or am I missing something.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Arl

Post by Arl »

Wow!

Excelent stuff Uncanny_Valley, you're on fire!
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Arl wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:18 pm Wow!
Agreed, I should have put that in my posts above.. I was just caught up in the how will that work thoughts. :oops:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Are the objects adjusted to the heightmap? If someone made Hills and Mountains 2.0 or something similar, will the objects track to ground level?

This is very exciting. Perhaps this could be the start of miniature outdoor dungeons. I'm curious as to whether these places can sustain enemy spawn points.