Real grass

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Uncanny_Valley

Real grass

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Another small thing that I'm currently working on. This mod reads the tilemap of every terrain that loads into the world, and automatically paints grass planes on all fully grassed tile surfaces.

It still needs a bit of tweaking, but I'm quite pleased with the result. It's quite nice to just stand still for a moment, become one with the world, and watch the grass wave back and forth in the wind.
Attachments
Grass4.jpg
Grass4.jpg (244.24 KiB) Viewed 12103 times
Grass2.jpg
Grass2.jpg (213.55 KiB) Viewed 12103 times
Grassy graveyard
Grassy graveyard
Grass.jpg (225.2 KiB) Viewed 12103 times

Nystul

Re: Real grass

Post by Nystul »

Cool stuff! Definitely makes the scene look much more interesting!

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

That's fantastic....The effect looks really good from those screenshots! Between the extended terrain + enhanced sky + this, Daggerfall is going to look amazing (relatively speaking of course :lol: ). Another big improvement that could be made is the ocean, I would love to see it replaced with better looking water (possibly that you could swim in...)

Arctus

Post by Arctus »

Nice stuff. I like that it isn't super flashy hi-res looking grass, it blends nicely with the DF look.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

Wow, that's amazing. Makes the game look much better.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Looks awesome! One of those changes that perfectly enhances visuals without breaking aesthetics.

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Name: Real Grass
Made by: Uncanny_Valley
For: DaggerFall Tools For Unity (1.3.8)
Version: 1.0

This mod adds animated billbord grass on mostly all grass covered tiles in DaggerFall, the expections
are when "grass" covers less than 1/4 of a tile.

Known Issues:
The grass will clip through all meshes. For the most part you will not notice this, but sometimes it's
very noticable. I'm open for any suggestion how to remedy or reduce this effect.

How to use:
1. Extract the content of this zip to anywhere inside your project.
2. Add the following line of code in DaggerFallTerrain.cs, in "PromotTerrainData()" , right after the line "terrain.terrainData.SetHeights(0, 0, heights);"

gameObject.AddComponent<DaggerfallWorkshop.Demo.RealGrass>();

2b. Or just make sure that the script is attached to every newly created terrain in some other way.

Todo:
I would like to fix the clipping issue somehow, at least with thoes meshes where it looks most horrible
Find a smoother way to implement this mod without the need to edit existing scripts (as in step 2)
Refine the graphics for the grass a little, make it "melt" more with the terrain texture

Download:
http://www.filedropper.com/dftfu-realgrass10

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

This is fabulous! ;)
Super easy to install, worked out of the box! ;)
I wish I could get my scripts to that point as well

I like the combined outcome of your grass script together with the improved sky and the improved/extended terrain:

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Looks really nice. :D
I try to make my mods as easy as possibly to install. I also try to avoid editing existing scripts and try to make more standalone "modules" that you add to the project.
Please let me know if you find any bugs or anything else that seems wrong.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for sharing Uncanny_Valley! This looks really amazing when all put together.