Real grass

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
King of Worms

Re: Real grass

Post by King of Worms »

I like the that occasional vegetation idea a lot

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Occasional vegetation idea is great! Though I would've adjusted the color to dark green, not salad, for the plant on the screenshot. But the idea is good and has a lot of potential. Maybe even harvestable plants and mushrooms can be done in a similar fashion later on. Could be great for gathering ingredients. Plus, it would give an incentive to explore the wildlands.

And overall, the mod is great! It really makes grass much better in game. The only thing that really needs "fixing" is the grass going through models in some cases, which is a shame, though I understand that it's not something that can be easily avoided. Does anyone know if it can be fixed programmatically somehow? Maybe some sort of check to see if there are any objects nearby, before the grass appears on the spot?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Thanks for feedback. I agree it would be nice to improve interaction between grass and game world, also to make npcs "push away" grass while walking, in addition to avoid clipping with models. I believe these effects belong to the field of shaders.

Ingredients gathering is a nice idea but requires a different approach to plants placement.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

@Uncanny_Valley
My game wouldn't be the same with out real grass.
I love having the ability to tweak to my own preferences.
I like it man, keep messing with stuff, and I will use it. ;)
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

More great additions. Are there any future plans for this mod?

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Add alchemy like in later tes games with pick flowers and stuff?

NikitaTheTanner

Add alchemy like in later tes games with pick flowers and stuff?
Why not? You can literally pick up flowers from dead bodies in original game, like roses, for example, so why not give players an ability to pick up flowers in the wild? There is nothing in the wilds right now, but it would give at least one reason to walk around in the woods. And for people who don't like doing it, there will always be shops and dungeons/enemies to get the same ingredients from.

This is probably outside the scope of this particular mode, but similar algorithms can be applied to spread harvestable plants around.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It sounds like you're talking about creating inventory piles in the wilderness with the shape of a flower or twig, which randomly populate with a corresponding item.

Now we just have to make Daggerfall alchemy useful :lol:

NikitaTheTanner

Now we just have to make Daggerfall alchemy useful :lol:
Making alchemy useful is simple enough I think, at least from the conceptual level. Still need to wait for the magic system, since they are closely connected. New magical effects or balanced existing ones will benefit alchemy a lot! The difficult task is not too make it too OP :D

It is a bit offtopic, but talking about alchemy, my idea is that simple system with tiered potions will do the trick. There are already recipees in the game, while the potion quality will depend on player's skill/shop quality. So, there are 5 levels of shops and 5 levels of skill Mastery - Novice < 25, Apprentice < 50, Adept < 75, Expert < 100, Master = 100. Assuming we implement Alchemy skill at some point, but even without it, the argument still stands for shops.

So, the potions will also be tiered into something like - Bargain I, Cheap II, Standard III, Expensive IV, Exquisite V (Morrowind names). This has advantage of not making potions too OP, like they can be in later games, but also giving them enough strength to be useful and fun, unlike some other potions in later games. Plus, if the quest requires a potion, you can just make it, and it won't a "home-made" potion which is not accepted by quest giver, since the game doesn't recognize it.

But that's just my ideas, and we are getting completely sidetracked here. Sorry about that ;)

Stalin Brando

Post by Stalin Brando »

All sounds like good ideas. Vanilla Daggerfall doesn't offer enough to Ranger or Druid type characters. There should be hunting, camping, dangerous animals etc. Give a reason to see the landscapes you've put so much effort into. Make quick travel feel like the backup option. The original Daggerfall creators probably wanted us to travel but ran out of resources, computer power and/or time. Now anything is possible.