Page 11 of 12

Re: Real grass

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:35 am
by Interkarma
Your harvesting looks incredible, TheLacus! It's hard not to get carried away with ideas of mobile potions, poisons, cooking, distilling, pacifistic gathering quests, and so on. So much could be done with this at the core of it all. :)

Re: Real grass

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:25 pm
by Sun's Dawn
Yes, great feature TheLacus!

This may be off topic, although it relates to foraging, but making all the shelves and crates in dungeons and towns searchable would also be a nice feature. (Maybe this should be discussed in another tread.)

Re: Real grass

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:34 pm
by StarMadeKnight
Could the grass system be used to render AlexanderSig's remodeled shelves so that they can be marked as harvestable the same way that the plant containers are?

Re: Real grass

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:44 pm
by AlexanderSig
StarMadeKnight wrote:Could the grass system be used to render AlexanderSig's remodeled shelves so that they can be marked as harvestable the same way that the plant containers are?

I'd like that :)

Re: Real grass

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:10 pm
by TheLacus
StarMadeKnight wrote:Could the grass system be used to render AlexanderSig's remodeled shelves so that they can be marked as harvestable the same way that the plant containers are?

Isn't this part of vanilla behaviour? I'm not sure what you already could do in original game. Anyway i agree, expanding support for shelves and crates seems a nice feature.

Re: Real grass

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:53 pm
by Jay_H
I believe that refers to shelves in dungeons and in houses, which in classic have no interaction.

Re: Real grass

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:33 pm
by Hazelnut
I think it's a nice idea, but I'm having trouble thinking of something worthwhile that they could contain that would not affect the balance of the game. The best idea I have is random potion ingredients, but most people ignore them anyway so seems a little pointless.

(as opposed to plants containing specific ingredients which is worthwhile since players interested can go seek appropriate plants)

Re: Real grass

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:00 pm
by Nystul
house shelves could contain valuable items, that could be stolen if players pickpocket skill is high enough.
dungeon shelves could contain less valuable items, broken items and maybe rarely better stuff. just a balancing thing imho

Re: Real grass

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:59 am
by Sun's Dawn
Hazelnut wrote:I think it's a nice idea, but I'm having trouble thinking of something worthwhile that they could contain that would not affect the balance of the game. The best idea I have is random potion ingredients, but most people ignore them anyway so seems a little pointless.

(as opposed to plants containing specific ingredients which is worthwhile since players interested can go seek appropriate plants)
If there is a rare chance to find valuable items, there would be a reason to search them, while not changing the game balance to much. So, most often you would find stuff like ingredients, but on rare occasions you could by chance find better stuff.

Nystul wrote:house shelves could contain valuable items, that could be stolen if players pickpocket skill is high enough. dungeon shelves could contain less valuable items, broken items and maybe rarely better stuff. just a balancing thing imho
Agreed.

Re: Real grass

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:09 pm
by TheLacus
Nystul wrote:house shelves could contain valuable items, that could be stolen if players pickpocket skill is high enough.
dungeon shelves could contain less valuable items, broken items and maybe rarely better stuff. just a balancing thing imho

This sound reasonable, nice idea.

I'll release a first version in the next few days, then i'll give AlexanderSig an adapted script for shelves.