Mesh Replacement Test

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
VMblast

Re: Mesh Replacement Test

Post by VMblast »

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Still, i think that new dungeon sets and detailed landscape is way to start. :D
And also some more hand-crafted content will be still good - look at daggerfall main quest :lol:

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Biboran wrote:Still, i think that new dungeon sets and detailed landscape is way to start. :D
And also some more hand-crafted content will be still good - look at daggerfall main quest :lol:
Ofc youll need some purposely crafted material, characters, sets, to accommodate main or branching storyline. However this is about 10-15% of the entire game's body. Rest could only be achieved by proceduraly generated environment and material.

And with intelligent world building (node building), you could add many, many interesting things to happen to players in the "wilderness".

Also by now TES lore is so rich that you could populate almost entire wilderness (proceduraly) of Daggerfall with interesting and unexpecting events that could happen to the players while roaming though it. ;)

One of the main ideas of the creators of the Daggerfall was...never ending story :P
Last edited by VMblast on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Yep - but more content you make (more models, more sprites) and more attach thing to locations they need be - more good be that random generation.

Like original game had some basic rules - generation not compleatly random. In different dungeoun types banned some type of monsters, different regions had a little bit different textures - all that make world more realistc and more interesting for player.

By the way your work with hd textures - very good start. Like there as I said in your thread - two compleatly similar testure sets for woodland mages guild. You may make one of them different and after that game be a little bit more inferesting and less empty :P

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Biboran wrote:Like original game had some basic rules - generation not compleatly random. In different dungeoun types banned some type of monsters, different regions had a little bit different textures - all that make world more realistc and more interesting for player.
Ofc. But thats just part of the procedural rules. You incorporate them in coding. For example desert dungeons would have more desert theme to it and monsters they will populate them, on the other hand northern dungeons would be thematically different as they will incorporate different rules for building them (like materials used in region, temperature, population of monsters, purpose of dungeons -hideout/torture/prison/cave/ etc)

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Yep! This! What I actually mean - to add more dungeon sets. Like unicle dungeon models for each type of dungeons, from which generator will generate them. More textures to more different regions. More different enemies! Like it be nice to meet draugr in barbaric stronghold and meet wolf in woodland, instead 9000 centaurs in all types of dungeons? :D

Arl

Post by Arl »

VMblast wrote:Pardon my words but -fuck the theme park RPG games, Im sick of them.

I don't think anyone wants that either, as I said before, downsizing the world by a 50% would still leave a crazy sized map.

Models, rivers, locations and all of what can be thought of would not function as you would imagine in a world where the elevations are so much prolonged in distances that it does not make any difference.

I guess all of what I'm saying would be better understood when the attempt of improving the landscape begin. :D
Last edited by Arl on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

But why actually downsize world for it? It can be achived with current world, and downsizing to 50% will not make anything exept... smaller world.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Arl wrote:
VMblast wrote:Pardon my words but -fuck the theme park RPG games, Im sick of them.

I don't think anyone wants that either, as I said before, downsizing the world by a 50% would still leave a crazy sized map.

Models, rivers, locations and all of what can be thought of would not function as you would imagine in a world where the elevations are so much prolonged in distances that it does not make any difference. :D
Well, thats the thing really. Focus on this. To have it 1:1 or 50% less, doesent really have any difference nor impact whatsoever. Technically you'll still need to do the same thing. So unless you are making real-world 5x5Km map, with hand placed each element, you'll be having the same issues. So, 1:1 or smaller with proceduraly generated/placed elements/characters/events, its all the same. ;)

Arl

Post by Arl »

Biboran wrote:But why actually downsize world for it? It can be achived with current world, and downsizing to 50% will not make anything exept... smaller world.
I made this quit sculpt to ilustrate my point:

100%
200% (same height).

Note how when the X and the Y get enlarge, but the height maintained the same, the geological features get way less pronounced (you almost can't notice the ground craters in the second picture). This in Daggerfal is worst, because of the size of the map and the relatively low height contrast of the heightmap.
VMblast wrote:
Arl wrote:

Models, rivers, locations and all of what can be thought of would not function as you would imagine in a world where the elevations are so much prolonged in distances that it does not make any difference. :D
Well, thats the thing really. Focus on this. To have it 1:1 or 50% less, doesent really have any difference nor impact whatsoever. Technically you'll still need to do the same thing. So unless you are making real-world 5x5Km map, with hand placed each element, you'll be having the same issues. So, 1:1 or smaller with proceduraly generated/placed elements/characters/events, its all the same. ;)
You are right indeed, I guess the difference for me is the rate of using fast travel. Exploration is one of the most important things, and you don't need a map the size of Great Britain to have fun exploring. But you do need to be able to go from Daggerfall to Sentinel without growing a grey beard and forgetting the mindset you had when you first started the journey.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.