Mesh Replacement Test

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
TheLacus

Re: Mesh Replacement Test

Post by TheLacus »

Don't know what's going on here
Spoiler!
and now the spoiler works :?:
edit. I still can't get to use the spoiler on previous post

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Daggerfall performs automated texture swaps on certain models based on climate and season. For example, the same house model will look very different between Tigonus (swamp) in summer and Wayrest (temperate) in winter. The concept is basically:

Base model + climate texture + season texture = final model

When just looking at the base model by itself in Daggerfall Modelling, there's no location metadata to go with it (it's just a model), so only the base texture is shown. When viewing that same model in a location then it can inherit climate from where that location belongs in the world.

Gravestones fall into that same category as houses and are subject to texture swaps. Travel around to different climates and you'll find the same model with different textures all over the game world.

At some point, the model swap mod I'm proposing will need to provide support for different climates and seasons. Thus one house model will have a few material variants for different climates and time of year. Will probably need to create these as different prefabs - one model with a different material per variant. I'm still working through how to manage this on my end and present to you guys in UI form.

I'd say not worry about having the exact texture appearance right now for swap-capable models. Just keep in the back of your mind that materials in Daggerfall Unity can be tied to climate and season.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Sorry for the trouble with spoiler tag. It seems the current implementation only allows for one spoiler to operate correctly per page. So first spoiler will work OK, second spoiler will fail.

I'll look for a different tag setup.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Thank you for the explanation. I knew about seasonal changes but i believed the game only had a "clean" summer version and a "snowy" winter version of buildings and this didn't came to my mind as the marble texture doesn't have visible snow or anything. I could have guessed, thinking about it now. Thank you for all the effort you're putting in this amazing project :)

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Some other models
Spoiler!
Since we are starting to work on this for real, i made a list on google sheets of the models i shown in previous pages, so it's possible to have an immediate look to what is already been done and avoid having two people re-creating the same model. If you give me the others IDs i'll add them, otherwise if you know a better way to do something like this just suggest it :)

BluntieDK

Post by BluntieDK »

Hey all, new member here! I posted on Reddit about something very much like this mod here, and DFInterkarma pointed me in this direction. I'm a concept artist and modeller that has recently discovered this awesome project, and would very much like to offer my help for the mesh replacement mod. I have zero experience with modding however, so I'm very pleased to hear that something like this already exists. :D

I don't have any models to show just yet, but I imagine I will before long. My hope is to start working on houses for cities and such first and foremost, but I'd also love to give the actual dungeon blocks a whirl too. I plan to use the original textures (though probably with a few tweaks here and there), and to generally make models that fit into the rest of the game more or less seamlessly, just with slightly more fidelity and a bit more emphasis on design.

Basically, less this

And more this (design-wise, that is - not fidelity-wise)
(just a random pic I found, not my model, just an example)

Looking forward to getting stuck in. And hope it's alright I just butt in like this. :)

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Hi BluntieDK, welcome to the forums. Waiting forward to your first models, it sounds very interesting from your description. It's nice to have someone experienced here :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

TheLacus wrote: Image
Just a small feedback: the bushes look a bit out of place to me - too greenish. I would suggest imho to stick to the original texture colors otherwise there is the chance that the model replacements will not match the overall daggerfall look/feel. but as always - this is just my opinion. would love to hear what other people think about this as well ;)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Same opinion on the Cemetery bush color, I think if the texture was using the original darker palette it would blend within the Daggerfall world much better. I like the rest of updated models and the general idea of this mod. PS: New model/texturing on that 5 column shrine looks great as well.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Nystul wrote: Just a small feedback: the bushes look a bit out of place to me - too greenish. I would suggest imho to stick to the original texture colors otherwise there is the chance that the model replacements will not match the overall daggerfall look/feel. but as always - this is just my opinion. would love to hear what other people think about this as well ;)
King of Worms wrote:Same opinion on the Cemetery bush color, I think if the texture was using the original darker palette it would blend within the Daggerfall world much better. I like the rest of updated models and the general idea of this mod. PS: New model/texturing on that 5 column shrine looks great as well.
You're right, the green in the screenshot is too light. I changed it a bit, now it's more similar to vanilla.
As regards the style, i made different variations. The first one is more artistic and should fits nice with vanilla, the other is more detailed. I also made a pixelated version, i'm sure someone will like it. I think i will release different versions of the mod so anyone can choose.
Link to picture