Enhanced Sky

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
LypyL

Re: Enhanced Sky

Post by LypyL »

1.7 Update:

Download Link

Mostly just some code improvements. Major changes:

1. Cloud Generation has been completely overhauled, and is much faster now. There are still some improvements to be made, but I'm hoping in the future it will be fast enough to generate multiple layers of clouds with tile-abale textures to allow scrolling.

2. Moons will fade out faster towards dawn. This is to improve compatibility w/ Nystul's Improved Terrain, and reduce the amount that the Moon's will be show up in front of the distant terrain.

3. Moon phases:

Imps not included. Each moon will cycle through waxing/waning/new/full moon phases over 32 days. I've tried to match up the full moons according to the elderscrolls Wiki and I believe they match.

Arl

Post by Arl »

Awesome work, I like your enhanced sky very much, thank you so much for this.

I would like to share some ideas about it:

-I think the moons should have a bit of glow during the night, this is something that happens in real life due to the strong sunlight that bounce over the moon.

-I notice that the moons have a darker edge than they should have, this can be seen during dawn, if you look this image you would see that the moon tone remains the same in the edges, and is always clearer than the sky.

-I would recommend to decrease the sun size, is too big! and also mitigate or eliminate those sun rays, not only for the sake of realism (very overused term I know) but also they move weird when looking at the sun.

I would like to know what are your thoughts about the firmament in your mod, are you planing to add the TES' contelations/star clusters and all of that?
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Very nice! This just keeps on getting better.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Phobos Anomaly wrote:Awesome work, I like your enhanced sky very much, thank you so much for this.

I would like to share some ideas about it:
Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad to know you're enjoying it
-I think the moons should have a bit of glow during the night, this is something that happens in real life due to the strong sunlight that bounce over the moon.
Yeah that would be cool. "Moonlighting" is of course something I've been thinking about but it's low on the list of things right now.

-I notice that the moons have a darker edge than they should have, this can be seen during dawn, if you look this image you would see that the moon tone remains the same in the edges, and is always clearer than the sky.
Maybe it's more evident on different monitors, but on mine I can hardly notice it. This is a one of the reasons I fade the moons out towards dawn. If you're seeing the moons opaque in the day sky, make sure you set the Sun in the lighting window.

I didn't make the moons, and just got permission to use them as is. Unless someone wants to make some better ones (or knows of some), this is the best it's going to be for the time being as I have no artistic abilities whatsoever :lol:

-I would recommend to decrease the sun size, is too big! .
You're right about that...I think I was tweaking it at some point and forgot about it. If you want to decrease it, the sun setting is on the Sky Material. The normal setting is at .122~ for reference.

and also mitigate or eliminate those sun rays, not only for the sake of realism (very overused term I know) but also they move weird when looking at the sun
Well I've been told the opposite from other people :D But I think it would be a good idea in the future to have an option to toggle the sun flare off if not wanted now that you bring it up!
I would like to know what are your thoughts about the firmament in your mod, are you planing to add the TES' contelations/star clusters and all of that?
I think I would probably drive myself insane if I tried that. But improving the night sky is definitely of interest (while at the same time I don't want the sky to end up looking like Skyrim or something ), like the moon phases.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8_oQ ... TYtV0xEYTA

Updated for Daggerfall Tools for Unity v. 1.3.27.

Nothing fancy, it just takes advantage of the new events so editing PlayerEnterExit & StreamingWorld is no longer required :D

Also added a field to SkyManager to control whether the Sun flare is enabled or not as requested. If set to false, it will never turn on.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I love the improved clouds ;)

edit:
when attaching the sun gameobject to the sun tab in the lighting menu, it only stays there for one run - afterwards it is empty again... just wondered

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Yeah, it's been an issue every since I first released this. For me, it stays set as long as the Sun object doesn't get disabled / destroyed. I never realized that it defaulted to using the brightness directional light in the scene, though - that's definitely useful to know. That should make it easy to work around.

I started working on an update last night, I'll see about fixing this problem.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

it seems that the connection to the sun object lasts longer than just one run, but as soon as i reload the scene (or restarting unity - which automatically reloads the scene) the sun object is gone

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

I've got the sun thing fixed for the time being. It seems it's more than just the brightness setting it depends on - at the least it uses color, shadows, render mode.

I've further improved the clouds. They're again faster, and I added a buffer, which allows for the option of higher-res clouds as they aren't being generated on demand.