Splat Terrain Texturing

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
pango

Re: High Resolution Terrain Textures

Post by pango »

This looks really good!
Could it be possible to add some noise in the alpha maps? I imagine that at the border of, say, grass and road, you'd find patches of grass/road that deviate from the theoretical straight frontier.
I assume the difficulty would be to make that noise also tile seamlessly...
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Looks great with this light! Yes I hope we get that new lighting some day. Gamma vs linear it is. Than I switch to your version for sure.

Have u tryed to match/compare the brightness/saturation to originals? Originals are quite dark actually.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

pango wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:30 pm This looks really good!
Could it be possible to add some noise in the alpha maps? I imagine that at the border of, say, grass and road, you'd find patches of grass/road that deviate from the theoretical straight frontier.
This is a valid point, right now edges are very uninteresting. I'll see what i can do, but resolution of the splatmap is the limit and i wouldn't want to increase it too much.

I changed idea on height blending and decided is worth to work on it before doing further improvements to alpha maps.
I edited the standard terrain shader to read height information from the alpha channel (created as greyscale of main textures) and use it for blending. I think the result it promising, at least for solid materials:

Screenshot_hb_2.jpeg
Screenshot_hb_2.jpeg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 608 times
Screenshot_hb_0.jpeg
Screenshot_hb_0.jpeg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 608 times
I'm not really happy with water. It looks great up-close, but i can't fully avoid the "floating" look from a distance...

Screenshot_hb_3.jpeg
Screenshot_hb_3.jpeg (230.59 KiB) Viewed 608 times
Mod System documentation - Learn how to create mods for Daggerfall Unity.
Modder Discussion - General help and discussion for the mod system.
Github Issues - Submit a bug report for the game, including the mod system.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

The height blending looks fantastic!

I really think this splatmap technique is going to make certain types of future mods such as Roads of Daggerfall much easier and better looking, since they should be able to simply draw lines or bezier curves onto the splatmap to draw roads or dirt paths.

DigitalMonk

Post by DigitalMonk »

TheLacus wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:25 pm I'm not really happy with water. It looks great up-close, but i can't fully avoid the "floating" look from a distance...
Water is hell to display, and really needs pixel shaders to pull off. Looking at it from a distance, you'd have to support mixtures of reflection (sky, nearby objects) and refraction (you'd tend to see the the far shore tinted slightly "projecting" quite a ways out into the body of water). Not sure how to even approximate that with a flat texture replacement...

OTOH, the height-map-based blending is awesome! Stuff from the nearby surfaces collects in the pockets of the material, just like it would. Brilliant idea!

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

I have a working mod with limited features now, some screenshots inside the spoiler tag.
I replicated Daggerfall palette but I think I overdone it, I should probably find a balance between this and a more realistic look.

Spoiler!
mountain_comparison_0.jpeg
mountain_comparison_0.jpeg (971.46 KiB) Viewed 499 times
swamp.jpeg
swamp.jpeg (487.3 KiB) Viewed 499 times
temperate.jpeg
temperate.jpeg (715.58 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Mod System documentation - Learn how to create mods for Daggerfall Unity.
Modder Discussion - General help and discussion for the mod system.
Github Issues - Submit a bug report for the game, including the mod system.

Hrafnyx

Post by Hrafnyx »

These textures look awesome!
TheLacus wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:25 pm I'm not really happy with water. It looks great up-close, but i can't fully avoid the "floating" look from a distance...
A quick fix for this issue to my mind is wider water texture blending, less saturation, more value. I see that the water texture looks very close to vanilla. But you use realistic textures and compared to them water looks more cartoonish. You will never see a dark blue water like this IRL.

A long way is to write a custom water shader (or make it in any shader editor for Unity). Separate a plane in two. First for the ground. Tessellation + displacement from height map. Second for the water. Animated normal map (two procedural cloud textures of different scale moving in different directions), fresnel, transparency, refraction. Reflection would be great, but I don't know how to make it in Unity as the engine uses reflection probe system. Perhaps it can be done via Shader Graph also, but it is a real pain for gpu.
NB: Shader Graph is free but it doesn't offer tessellation node. Amplify Shader does have tessellation but this editor is pricey for just an experiment. But there is a Unity documentation for writing shaders including tessellation and displacement and it's free.

Half of what I wrote I know only in theory. And I may be completely wrong with all these thoughts. Just trying to help.

Bushed

Post by Bushed »

Great! :D :lol:

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

TheLacus wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:25 pm
pango wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:30 pm This looks really good!
I changed idea on height blending and decided is worth to work on it before doing further improvements to alpha maps.
I edited the standard terrain shader to read height information from the alpha channel (created as greyscale of main textures) and use it for blending. I think the result it promising, at least for solid materials:

Screenshot_hb_2.jpeg

Screenshot_hb_0.jpeg

I'm not really happy with water. It looks great up-close, but i can't fully avoid the "floating" look from a distance...

Screenshot_hb_3.jpeg
This post gives me life. I love the swamp regions of Iliac Bay and this looks awesome!

DigitalMonk

Post by DigitalMonk »

Mountain sample works well for me. Temperate sample is freaking awesome to my eyes -- love the way the sand blends onto the road with heightmaps. Swamp looks good but maybe a little blurry -- seems like the paving stones fade out into transition instead of getting flooded over with heightmaps. Dunno if a wider transition would help, or stronger heightmaps.

As commented above, yeah, just knocking down the saturation on the water textures might help a lot. I live by a pond, and it's almost never blue (unless everything is JUST right for it to reflect a bright sky). But I don't trust my visual memory very much, so:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch& ... CAY&uact=5

Which points out that the two major first step approximations would be either a distorted mirror, or a distorted window pane to whatever is under that water... Of course, blending both based on eye angle is appropriate, but requires a pixel shader... I'd be tempted to try the "distorted mirror over muddy rocks" just to see if it passes well enough.