Shops have limited gold supply

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Allerka

Re: Shops have limited gold supply

Post by Allerka »

Awesome work! I'm looking forward to trying it out! The investment mechanic definitely sounds interesting for if you're working out of a specific town. I think maybe a minimum level wouldn't hurt, with the idea that your character has to have SOME understanding of economics to even think of investing in shops. Maybe like 20-25%? If your Mercantile skill effects how effective it is, then I'd probably keep the threshold low.

DigitalMonk

Post by DigitalMonk »

Allerka wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:05 pm I think maybe a minimum level wouldn't hurt, with the idea that your character has to have SOME understanding of economics to even think of investing in shops.
Oh, I dunno... Kickstarter has shown that people who barely know what money is can invest in things :lol:

Rather than having a minimum skill cutoff, maybe have shady shopkeepers, and your mercantile skill affects how likely you are to recognize a bad deal?

Also, if you want to see just how poorly some people make business partnership decisions, watch: Hulu.com, Homicide Hunter, Season 7, Episode 15, "Body in the Freezer"

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Allerka wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:05 pm Awesome work! I'm looking forward to trying it out! The investment mechanic definitely sounds interesting for if you're working out of a specific town. I think maybe a minimum level wouldn't hurt, with the idea that your character has to have SOME understanding of economics to even think of investing in shops. Maybe like 20-25%? If your Mercantile skill effects how effective it is, then I'd probably keep the threshold low.
Way ahead of you, did not mention in the documentation just because it tells you specifically the minimum requirements in the text-box that appears. The minimum for investing in any store is 30 intelligence and 40 Mercantile.

Code: Select all

if (playerIntell >= 30 && mercSkill >= 40)
It gives a 1% multiplier for each point in Mercantile, so 100 skill = 2x investment multiplier. Which basically just means you will get more for what you put in if you have a high skill, sort of the idea being the player assists in the profitability of the shop in someway to better use their investment.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Allerka wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:05 pm Rather than having a minimum skill cutoff, maybe have shady shopkeepers, and your mercantile skill affects how likely you are to recognize a bad deal?
I'm not going to spoil anything, but there is a "shady" shopkeeper sort of "mechanic" that I added in for characters with lower than 30 intelligence trying to invest in certain... Less reputable shops, lets just say, lol.

Allerka

Post by Allerka »

Well, sounds like you're on the right track then! Here's hoping for 10.24 soon. :D

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Awesome, so it looks like my Pull Request was merged into the main branch of Daggerfall Unity. So this mod should be ready to go as soon as 0.10.24 goes live, (for my even more recent mods that's a whole nother' story...)
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (29.53 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
Maybe Interkarma just had some spare time to look at some pull-requests, but maybe this is also a sign of a in the near future release for the next build, who knows ;)

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

Magicono43 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:36 pm The other thing being most of the formula being created that will actually "generate" the amount of gold that a given shop that was just entered will be assigned when first entered. This currently being determined mostly by shop quality, as well as the "regional adjuster" which is mostly a random number at the moment. As well as another random number multiplying the whole thing to give more variable gold values, instead of boring values like 20000.
Great mod idea. Looking forward to playing it. Way to go! :)

Some of the factors that should influence the amount of gold available:
- shop quality
- the settlement the shop is located in (regional capitals should be highest, then other cities, then mediumsized towns, then small towns)
- the type of the shop (perhaps)
- a regional coefficient - some regions are after all richer than others
- the investment mechanic - if done right - is also a good idea (I don't really know yet what 'right' would mean for me in this context though)

Even within the same main class of settlement, I have observed deviations, as if some settlements are economically more developed than others.
How to quantify this?
One idea would be 'composite index of shops in the settlement' that would be higher the more shops there are in total and the higher their quality. Like a high quality shop would add a certain number of points to the index and a low quality shop would only add another, much smaller number of points.
This would imply using the number of shops and their quality as indicators of general economic prosperity - justifiable if there is no better metric. Perhaps one day, if a roads mod is finished, trade connections could be factored in as well.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

meritamas wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:47 am Some of the factors that should influence the amount of gold available:
- shop quality
- the settlement the shop is located in (regional capitals should be highest, then other cities, then mediumsized towns, then small towns)
- the type of the shop (perhaps)
- a regional coefficient - some regions are after all richer than others
- the investment mechanic - if done right - is also a good idea (I don't really know yet what 'right' would mean for me in this context though)

Even within the same main class of settlement, I have observed deviations, as if some settlements are economically more developed than others.
How to quantify this?
One idea would be 'composite index of shops in the settlement' that would be higher the more shops there are in total and the higher their quality. Like a high quality shop would add a certain number of points to the index and a low quality shop would only add another, much smaller number of points.
This would imply using the number of shops and their quality as indicators of general economic prosperity - justifiable if there is no better metric. Perhaps one day, if a roads mod is finished, trade connections could be factored in as well.
That's some good suggestions, I especially like the idea of possibly adding together "points" inside a town/city from probably the summation of all the shop quality values of that area and using that as a rough estimate on what is a more "wealthy" city than others outside of what the game already determines as wealth. Since all buildings generate with a quality value assigned to them, I could even have ALL buildings inside a town/city to determine this value, not a bad concept, and would definitely be possibly in theory due to how the towns work.

I'm currently working on another mod that is going to have to use world/building data more, so hopefully I will learn some tricks while doing this. Once I release this limited gold mod, I will certainly be looking to update it as time goes on and more ideas come up, depending on what I have to change, updates "may" have to be between live-versions if I have to make Pull-requests to get updated mechanics to work, will have to see, thanks for the suggestions.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

I have to do a lot of self bug testing to make sure nothing broken in my released mods from the latest release (It does not seem like it so far thankfully.) After I confirm this, i'm going to do another quick sweep of bug tests to make sure my Limited Gold Shops mod now works fully with the latest live environment and nothing is messed up either, then I plan on releasing the mod officially hopefully by today if all goes well. I'll likely leave a link in this post to redirect to that specific mod thread when I do release it.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

The mod has now been officially released!

Here is the main forum thread for the mod: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3885&p=45283#p45283

Here is the direct Nexus download page link: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/89