Daggerfall music replacer

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
polarstar

Daggerfall music replacer

Post by polarstar »

I got bored of listening to the daggerfall music after hearing it so many time so I put together my own list of songs.
So if anyone else is also tired of the original music here is my pack

(https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/108)

The songs used are "free to use" songs for non commercial purposes

I also used some of songs from the Witcher games which should also be ok to use.

CDProjectRed: "In general we do not have anything against creation of fan mods that are used within any of the CD PROJEKT S.A. games or services as long as they are not made for financial gain. However, as a rule we do not accept creation of fan mods that are planned to be used in third parties commercial projects (such as e.g. paid software or commercial videogames). It is so be cause in such a case a - theoretically free-fan mod becomes an additional feature of a third party's product which is actually not free at all"

so I think it's fine since daggerfall is a free game.

The full song list (also included with the .Zip)

NIGHT
song_11 = Wither 3 Fate calls
song_geerie = evilbluekoala This Is Where Ungvar Cashed In
song_gcurse = Adrian von Ziegler Across Acheron
song_gruins = Adrian von Ziegler Journey's End
song_18 = Witcher 3 King Bran's Final Voyage
song_10 = Adrian von Ziegler Eternal Snow
song_21 = evilbluekoala: Graves

DAY
song_29 = Vindsvept Spellboundawwas
song_gday__d = Vindsvept Shattered Sunw
song_Sunnyday = Adrian von Ziegler Legend
song_gsunny2 = Adrian von Ziegler Forest Rites
song_Swimming = Adrian von Ziegler Callirus
song_02 = Vindsvept Satyr
song_03 = Vindsvept Sanctuary
song_12 = Vindsvept Lake of Light
song_13 = Adrian von Ziegler Fable
song_22 = Adrian von Ziegler Queen of the Gaels

RAINING
song_overcast = Vindsvept Storm
song_overlong = Adrian von Ziegler Ghost Bride
song_Raining = Vindsvept Lost but not Forgotton
song_08 = Vindsvept Distant

SNOW
song_20 = Adrian von Ziegler Into Solitude
song_oversnow = evilbluekoala Dreamweaver
song_snowing = evilbluekoala Nightwanderers
song_gsnow__b = Witcher 1 The Dike

INTERIOR
song_23 = Adrian von Ziegler Black Same

MAGE GUILD
song_magic_2 = Witcher 3 Yes, I Do...
song_gmage_3 = Vindsvept Hugins Flight

SHOP
song_gshop = Adrian von Ziegler Once Upon a Time

TAVERN
song_tavern = Adrian von ziegler: Gaelic earth
song_Square_2 = Adrian von Ziegler Child of the Highlands
song_folk1 = Adrian von Ziegler Balada
song_folk2 = Vindsvept Weaving the Skies
song_folk3 = Vindsvept A Song from the Deep

TEMPLE
song_gbad = evilbluekoala Rite Of Passage
song_gneut = evilbluekoala Darkness Calling
song_ggood = evilbluekoala Courteous Halls

CASTLE
song_gpalac = Adrian von Ziegler Divine Ancestry

PALACE
song_06 = evilbluekoala The City Gates

DUNGEON THEME
song_dungeon = evilbluekoala The Eerie Places
song_04 = evilbluekoala Creeper
song_05 = Adrian von Ziegler Silent Sentinel
song_fdungn4 = evilbluekoala Haunted
song_dungeon5 = Adrian von Ziegler Ornu
song_dungeon6 = Witcher 2 The Camp By Night
song_dungeon7 = Adrian von Ziegler Nest of Fiends
song_dungeon8 = Witcher 2 Within The Mist
song_dungeon9 = Adrian von Ziegler Catacombs
song_gdngn10 = Witcher 1 The Order
song_gdngn11 = Witcher 2 Vergen By Night
song_fdungn9 = Adrian von Ziegler Death Wheel
song_07 = Witcher 1 An Ominous Place
song_15 = Witcher 1 A Wolf's Demise
song_28 = Witcher 2 Souls In Ruin

and just gonna leave this here.

Songs used here from The Witcher 1, The Witcher 2, and The Witcher 3 are owned and copyrighted by CD Projekt
The Witcher is a trademark of CD Projekt. All rights reserved. http://www.cdprojekt.com/
Last edited by polarstar on Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

polarstar

Re: Daggerfall music replacer

Post by polarstar »

I forgot to add that you need to put the files in your streamingAssets/Sound folder , if it doesn't exist create it.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

I dont think you are allowed to use the Witcher stuff, they specifically mention using it for CD Projekt games / services. I doubt they will take action against your pack but nowhere in that quote does it mention free projects like DFU, that usually defaults to not allowed.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Just tested this pack out, and it's pretty nice :)

polarstar

Post by polarstar »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:03 am I dont think you are allowed to use the Witcher stuff, they specifically mention using it for CD Projekt games / services. I doubt they will take action against your pack but nowhere in that quote does it mention free projects like DFU, that usually defaults to not allowed.
I'll do some more digging about it and see if I can get some official permission. If it turns out to be a problem I'll replace it with some other music. :)

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Using CD Projekt Red's material with third party projects (Daggerfall would be a third party project) is probably not a great idea, just by this line:

" However, as a rule we do not accept creation of fan mods that are planned to be used in third parties commercial projects (such as e.g. paid software or commercial videogames). It is so be cause in such a case a - theoretically free-fan mod becomes an additional feature of a third party's product which is actually not free at all"

Reading the wording of that paragraph, they're talking about fan mods, period. That suggests to me, you can't use ANYTHING from the Witcher IP for a fan based mod in any other game, (unless the game is basically FOSS) and my guess is they're probably even more strict with art and sound assets.

Witcher 3 material was scored and recorded by a band, Percival (Marcin Przybyłowicz) so you might be violating the mechanical license and the PRO license since the original artists would not be getting their royalties. However, I am NOT a music industry lawyer, so I can only recommend using the utmost caution, and requesting official permission. The worst they can do is say "No."

Daggerfall may be free now, but it was a commercial project originally. I would say this is shaky ground, and a very gray area legally. I doubt they'd sue, but you might get a nastygram in the form of a Cease and Desist letter if they found out about it. And it's not the dev teams or the band that would send a letter, but their lawyers whose job it is to protect their clients' IP, and art/sound assets, branding, trademark, copyrights, etc. etc. And sometimes those lawyers can be a bit draconian.

I mean sure, you might be okay. I know there's several youtube channels where you can listen to the music from the game in full. But yeah, I'd just play it safe and ask permission.

If you want to replace the music with non-Daggerfall tracks, I would highly recommend checking out the various royalty-free music libraries. There are a few around, though you might recognize some things, particularly Kevin Macleod's music, since it is used fairly often on various youtube channels:

https://freemusicarchive.org/ (Tribe of Noise acquired them, so may not be royalty free anymore, but their database is still searchable, and I think there are still completely free music tracks available for use)

https://prosearch.tribeofnoise.com/search/start (low budget non-exclusive licenses for music tracks, starting at $50/song)

https://www.bensound.com/
https://filmstro.com/music
https://incompetech.filmmusic.io/search/
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

polarstar

Post by polarstar »

I contacted some people at the CD projekt red forums and they told me that they generally allow it but it has to be reviewed by the legal team so I've been told to contact the CD projekt red legal team and provide all the information they need about the project. The community manager told me he is pretty confident they will allow this based on what I told him.

Now I am waiting for the reply from the legal team not sure how long that will take. :)

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Good on you. I think that will avoid some headache in the long run. And they probably will allow it. But you know, better safe than sorry and all that.

Furthermore, if you want to incorporate it, I recorded a track in the vein of Witcher/Hollow Knight (those were my inspirations at least). I wrote it back in May to flex my creative muscle and get my feet wet with an instrument library I got for my birthday (Best Service's Era II + Vocal Codex). I probably still need to do one last pass on the mix, but it's up on my soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/j-bot-1/dances-with-ghouls

I can pop it onto my google drive if you want, but I just need to render to an OGG format first. I should probably think about uploading it to a music library and register it with my PRO (I'm registered as a songwriter on BMI). Anyway, let me know.
Last edited by ByteMixer on Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

polarstar

Post by polarstar »

That's pretty dope, it would fit perfectly for a battle song. Daggerfall doesn't actually have any batllemusic but if anoyone ever makes a mod that plays music during a fight I would definetly want to add that. :D

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

That's true. I also can't really think of a good spot where my track would really fit in Daggerfall other than maybe the launcher. It really is intended as a more cutscene cinematic, or combat oriented theme. I actually wrote it to loop seamlessly, but added an extra empty bar at the beginning and end for now. Mostly because Soundcloud sometimes doesn't catch the very first second of audio when starting playback.

And I already did another pass on the mix, so I think it's a bit more balanced now. I'll get it rendered and replace the soundcloud track later today. Not that it's really relevant in this topic, hah.

Anyway, hopefully you hear back from CDPR's law people before long.