Daggerfall Unity Models Overhaul

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
TheLacus

Daggerfall Unity Models Overhaul

Postby TheLacus » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:52 pm

This mod has the aim of replacing daggerfall models with higher-poly, improved version of vanilla models and showcasing Daggerfall Unity modding capabilities.
In most cases original daggerfall textures are used, but UV maps have been fixed and tweaked.

• Real-time import
    Prerequisites
    Daggerfall Unity build 55 or higher.

Installation
    Put the StreamingAssets folder inside \DaggerfallUnity_Data.

Customize textures
    You can use any texture pack of your choice. Place .png files inside StreamingAssets/Textures.

Uninstall
    You can safely remove all the files you added inside the StreamingAssets folder. It won't affect saves.

• Compile with project (legacy)
    Prerequisites
    A working installation of the Unity editor with Daggerfall Unity project. You can find a video tutorial here.

Installation
    Import the .unitypackage file, and the eventual addons you decide to use, in the Unity editor and compile the project.

Download
Daggerfall Unity Models Overhaul v0.4

ADDONS

This plugin replace the water in a few models - such as fountains - with a see-through material. Install over the main package.

Transparent water 1.0

This plugin replace the flat bookshelves found in daggerfall with new models, based on vanilla look, which give some sense of depth to the shelves.

Enhanched Bookshelves beta1 (compile with project)

This plugin replace the flat vanilla cemetery hedge with a 3d model.

3D Cemetery Hedge 1.0 (compile with project)

Flats v.0.2 (compile with project)

GALLERY

Spoiler!

Transparent water

Flats

Last edited by TheLacus on Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Nystul

Re: Daggerfall Models Overhaul

Postby Nystul » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 pm

I really like the models as such, but the textures are too "washed out" for my taste (e.g. on the organ). Maybe a bit more sharpness (and detail) would work? ;)
TheLacus

Postby TheLacus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:30 pm

Nystul wrote:I really like the models as such, but the textures are too "washed out" for my taste (e.g. on the organ). Maybe a bit more sharpness (and detail) would work? ;)

Yes, textures are bit of a problem right now. Thing is, what i'm doing here is revising models and models only. This mod is supposed to be complementary to a retexture project, like the one started for Daggerxl, and until we have something like that everything here is a compromise.

Specifically, i left the default bilinear filter enabled for the organ textures you noticed and that's way it looks this way, it's either that or having bix pixels in sight. I thought about trying to leave big textures (like wood) as they are and use the filter or upscale only on textures with little details (such as the organ keys) but i see it's worse than expected. I'll get to work a bit on them but they have a very low resolution so i don't have big expectations.

Maybe in the future i will try to do a more serious work on a few textures , but i would prefer letting more skilled people doing that and focusing only on models.
Interkarma

Postby Interkarma » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:47 pm

I love the organ! My only real criticism is the material appears to have bilinear filtering enabled. This just makes the low-res texture look a bit blurred compared to the otherwise crisply-pixeled originals. I do like the model though, and think with point filtering enabled it would match the environment perfectly.

The player can also set filter type from INI. Someday we'll need to support optional filter settings for imported models too, so everything has a consistent look.
TheLacus

Postby TheLacus » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:36 pm

Interkarma wrote:I love the organ! My only real criticism is the material appears to have bilinear filtering enabled. This just makes the low-res texture look a bit blurred compared to the otherwise crisply-pixeled originals. I do like the model though, and think with point filtering enabled it would match the environment perfectly.

The player can also set filter type from INI. Someday we'll need to support optional filter settings for imported models too, so everything has a consistent look.

Implemented, now they use the filtermode indicated in settings.

here it is :)

Nystul

Postby Nystul » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:13 pm

looking good :) keep up the excellent work
Interkarma

Postby Interkarma » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:09 pm

Wow you work fast! And that looks great! :)
TheLacus

Postby TheLacus » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:29 pm

Nystul wrote:looking good :) keep up the excellent work

Interkarma wrote:Wow you work fast! And that looks great! :)

Thank you :)

I take the opportunity to release a quick update
Daggerfall Models Overhaul beta 4

Return to “Creator's Corner”